Broody Hen with eggs question

When mine was setting she got up on her own, but I've heard of others that lost the self-preservation instinct I guess.

I wouldn't worry about her getting off the nest as mine got off the nest everyday for several minutes. She even went out and pecked grass and bugs sometimes and I've got 8/9 eggs hatched to show for it (the last pipped, but didn't make it out). She will also need to get up periodically to "relieve herself" or else she'll spoil the nest and I'm sure that's not good for the eggs.

This afternoon I looked out a window and saw either a VERY large chicken giving herself a dust bath... Or two hens giving themselves dust bathes...
clap.gif
My lil Bug is taking care of herself, I'm so happy. We've taken to spending time outside a evening, to keep Molly company. She's very glad to have us as flock members right now. Thanks for the support. I'll be keeping updates on this post, I'm planning to candle next weekend to make sure the eggs are viable. any suggestions on that will be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I gave up on candling, mainly because I suck at it. I just check the eggs every once in awhile for "weeping" or foul odors and remove any that mama has clearly kicked out of the nest. Having said that, there are tons of threads on candling if you do a search.

Good info Gritsar. I, having never done the candling, am wanting to try. Just to see what I see. I have a strong LED flashlight, and I am very curious about what the eggs will look like at about day 10 or so. I am totally with you on the looking for cracks or foul smells, or the one she kicks out of the nest. I find that this chicken business is all about paying attention, noticing details and making adjustments to the plan.

Last edited:
Woohoo! What a pretty thing, although in the pic w/ babies she looks worn out to me, haha.
How many hatched?

3 hatched, I had 7 eggs under her but 4 of them had been sitting on someone's counter for a week. So, I just don't think they were viable. So, she seems pretty happy with her little one :eek:) We are in the process of building a bigger coop, but haven't finished yet, so our other hen is in a cat carrier so she won't stomp all over the babies. She's pretty confused, but she has seen them and wasn't mean or in any way aggressive, she just was curious and then wanted to lay... with a small 1 nesting box coop, that is a problem. Hence the hurry up to finish the larger coop.

Hi Gritsar, I am glad to say that the egg that dropped early when I picked up Lil' Bug was one of the duds. So, no harm on my learning curve :). Thanks for all your support.

Back
Top Bottom