broody hen with mites - DE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by opihiman911, Apr 18, 2009.

1. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    I have a broody hen who has been sitting on a clutch of eggs for almost two weeks now. I have her locked up in her own nest box with food and water. Eggs are growing well and are due to hatch the 24th or so.
    I went and checked on her today and when she puffed up and growled at me, I noticed a bunch of tiny brown pinhead sized bugs crawling out of her ruffled neck feathers and onto her face. I ruffled through her neck feathers, getting pecked a bunch of times, and found dozens and dozens more. I would assume these are mites she caught from being still on the nest and not dusting as much. I checked the rest of the flock and don't see on them
    Can I do anything about these while she is nesting? I do have food grade DE in a salt shaker. Can I dust her and the nest box? What about the nesting material? I use dried grass clipping and have more that I use in my other boxes.

Aloha,
    Cory

2. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Hmmmm....now I thought of it this is maybe more of a pest posting?? Now if I crosspost over there you know what will happen to one of them [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cory

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I would most definitely dust her and try to dust the nest too if possible. You'll have to pull her off to get the nest, but it would be best to dust her off the nest also. You'll be able to get to her better. Also, do you have any Ivomec (Eprinex)? It kills internal and external parasites. I just went through this with my broody last Sunday and between rubbing/dusting her down with the DE and using Eprinex, it took care of the mites.

4. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    I think its a good idea. The DE will be harmless to the chicks and hen yet should take care of the mites. I'd go for it.
    did you see this video? It explains how food grade DE works
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=867362921535089214
    good luck with it and let us know how it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by