Broody hen with one chick - add more?

Single with broody isn’t an issue....... until broody kicks them away in 4-8 weeks. Then you have a lone young chicken that’s 4 months away from integrating into the order.

Sadly, the time for introducing a chick was Monday night into Tuesday. If she’s brought the chicks off the nest, I doubt you’ll graft another under her.

Single with broody isn’t an issue....... until broody kicks them away in 4-8 weeks. Then you have a lone young chicken that’s 4 months away from integrating into the order.

Sadly, the time for introducing a chick was Monday night into Tuesday. If she’s brought the chicks off the nest, I doubt you’ll graft another under her.

I have heard of hens taking them 2-3 days later though I agree it depends on the broody. If the hen cuts the chick off cold at 5 weeks then it could have a very rough time of it.
Though some of my OEG bantam hens really never separate from the chicks at least not until they go broody again. One was sleeping under her layer chicks every night when they were 6-8 months old.

I believe TSC uses Hoovers. They should be perfectly safe but if possible pay in cash and use an alias (stores keep chick registries for the state and if a hatchery had a disease outbreak it can mean they track down all buyers and wipe out entire flocks even if the birds don't test positive or ever get sick).

I add chicks with broodies most years and always buy from the local store. This year due to the chick shortage I bought from a local breeder and a hen hatched some of her own. Got 4 cockerels and 1 pullet out of that so will only be buying sexed feed store chicks for a long while. :)
My store never asks for names when you buy chicks with cash

I've been through this quite a few times. A broody raised chick won't have a problem with the rest of the flock when it gets weaned because by that time, it has been accepted as a member of the flock. It may be at the bottom of the pecking order but it won't be abused.

My store never asks for names when you buy chicks with cash
I thought all states did that but I guess it is just some. Georgia requires all poultry dealers to keep a record of sales for disease tracking (only those that buy and resell chicks, not private breeders).

" Poultry dealers must keep adequate records of source of poultry purchased and destination of poultry sold in order to be able to track potential disease risk. "

I thought all states did that but I guess it is just some. Georgia requires all poultry dealers to keep a record of sales for disease tracking (only those that buy and resell chicks, not private breeders).

" Poultry dealers must keep adequate records of source of poultry purchased and destination of poultry sold in order to be able to track potential disease risk. "
Yeah, must be a state thing. They might with cards, but I don't use a card so I always do cash and I know they don't know my name there XD

TSC didn't get their chicks until 5 days after this one hatched so I thought it would be too risky and I didn't want to have to raise them myself. Hens have spoiled me - it's SO much easier and they integrate into the flock way better. So here's the little singleton:

Attachments

• P1300910.JPG
    P1300910.JPG
    584.9 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom