Broody hen won’t drink

Cluckgirl913

Chirping
Oct 12, 2021
Central Ohio, USA
One of my BO hens has been trying to go broody for a few months, I finally picked up 6 silkie eggs and gave them to her to hatch. We are in day 2 of her sitting on the clutch and she will not drink. She doesn’t want to eat much either but I’m less concerned about that. Yesterday I got her to eat a small piece of watermelon and about a teaspoon of layer feed by placing it in front of her on the nest.
I successfully relocated her and the nest from one of my horse’s hay mangers to a dog crate in my barn’s feed room. I had hoped she would drink while I disturbed her for the move but she did not. I was even putting her beak in water with no luck.
Should I give her water with a syringe? How much and how often? I plan on offering her a bit of scrambled egg, watermelon and a bit of grower feed daily.
Also, should i occasionally move her off the nest so she can poop? How often?
I want to make sure she is okay but also don’t want to break her broodiness.

I would physically remove her from the nest daily and provide feed and water so that she could defecate and move about. Feeding or providing water on the nest can result in the hen defecating in the nest and ruining the clutch.

as she is confined to a crate, I would do what sourland suggests; if she doesn't get off on her own to eat, drink and poop, lift her off (very gently, and beware trapping eggs under her wings, which then get dropped) and put her by food and water in the crate; don't feed her on the nest, and I definitely wouldn't syringe water into her when she's in a trance-like broody state on the nest.

@Cluckgirl913 you may not be aware that broody hens eat and drink very little while brooding a clutch of eggs. They may leave the nest only once or twice a day to get a drink, a bite to eat, and then back on the nest. In fact, they can hold their poop for several days. I'd keep food and water nearby, but don't bother her - she will eat and drink, and poop, when she needs to.

Thanks everyone. I know she would eat and drink less, I was just worried about dehydration in this heat and humidity. I plan on offering her water heavy fruits since she seems more interested in those than actually drinking. She did a massive poo yesterday off of the nest so that was good! I’ll keep food and water in the crate positioned so she has to leave the nest and just keep an eye one her.

Thanks again!

My girl is sitting here. I can't get to her for fear of hurting her moving everything. Now there are two eggs just beside her. This is her first time. My first time. I have so many questions.

Attachments

• 20220827_120751.jpg
    20220827_120751.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 8
My girl is sitting here. I can't get to her for fear of hurting her moving everything. Now there are two eggs just beside her. This is her first time. My first time. I have so many questions.
Does she go to the coop at night? How long have those eggs been beside her (and not underneath her)? That does look like a very tricky spot to get her out of! Unfortunately, it's not predator safe. You may have to watch very closely and snag her when she comes out to eat and drink, or cut the fencing away to get to her.

Thanks everyone. I know she would eat and drink less, I was just worried about dehydration in this heat and humidity. I plan on offering her water heavy fruits since she seems more interested in those than actually drinking. She did a massive poo yesterday off of the nest so that was good! I’ll keep food and water in the crate positioned so she has to leave the nest and just keep an eye one her.

Thanks again!
Thanks for posting all this and the replies. I had the exact same problem today. And she looked hot! I just couldn’t tempt her to drink at all.

Back
Top Bottom