Broody hen won't leave nest

Harry Frogfish

Chirping
Nov 6, 2020
Alger, WA
I've got her sitting on a couple of eggs (including several 'Happy Eggs' as I know people have managed to hatch those out before, so taking a chance), but I have no rooster. I'm trying to get a couple of known fertile eggs in the next day or so. I would really like her to brood as I would like to try get a rooster myself and feel one would fit in best if raised by my girls.

How do I keep her fed and hydrated in the meantime? I love this little hen, she's my sweetest and will make a great mama, but she won't leave the nest to feed. I've tried checking the threads, but am having to sift out the ones about breaking broodiness and I want to 'egg' her on...

Help! And thank you in advance for your advice! :)

I've got her sitting on a couple of eggs (including several 'Happy Eggs' as I know people have managed to hatch those out before, so taking a chance), but I have no rooster. I'm trying to get a couple of known fertile eggs in the next day or so. I would really like her to brood as I would like to try get a rooster myself and feel one would fit in best if raised by my girls.

How do I keep her fed and hydrated in the meantime? I love this little hen, she's my sweetest and will make a great mama, but she won't leave the nest to feed. I've tried checking the threads, but am having to sift out the ones about breaking broodiness and I want to 'egg' her on...

Help! And thank you in advance for your advice! :)
Have you grafted her to a ground nest in a semi-private area of the coop?
If not, you should.
I would put a large wire dog crate tucked in the corner of the coop, make a plush nest in it and put the fake eggs in there with her and close the door.
I hang a baby bottle in with my broody hens.
baby bottle close up.png

I remove my broody hens from the nest each morning when I start chores and put her outside the coop. My setup is such that she has to go through the pen, into the run where the food and water are then back into the coop to get back to her nest.
This way I can inspect her nest to make sure there are no errant eggs in her nest that don't belong. While she is off the nest, she typically takes a giant broody poop, runs with her wings out to the end of the run, gets something to eat and drink, preens and dust bathes if it's warm out. Then she heads back to the nest.
If she has only recently been moved to the ground nest, I watch her when she heads back in to make sure she goes to the correct nest. If she starts on a path to the original site she went broody on, I put her on the floor near the nest and guide her to the new nest site. I let her walk to it and get back on vs. just plunking her on the nest.
I recommend you do this as well. Once she returns the nest on her own with out out any corrections for 2 days, she is ready for marked, fertile eggs to be set under her.
I continue to remove her from her nest every morning after she starts setting up until and including day 19. Then I leave her alone with her water bottle so she can help reduce her body temp when the eggs start hatching.
The entire flock will need to be switched over to chick starter or Flock Raiser crumbles with oyster shell on the side well before the eggs hatch.
How much space do you have in your coop and run?
How many birds do you currently have?

Back
Top Bottom