Broody Hen- would like to set eggs under her....

CowgirlMama

Songster
12 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Baker City, Oregon
So- I have a Black Australorp hen who has gone broody... she has not left the nest box for at least 3 days! I would like to set eggs under her and try to hatch some, but I'm not sure how many to set or what to look for in an egg to try to hatch. Is there a way to tell if they are fertile without cracking them open? I have 3 very zealous roosters! And I know I've gotten some fertile eggs in the past. Or is it just kind of a crap shoot? Put some under and wait and see? Thanks for the help!

I would just put some under her and wait and see, that's what I did with my neighbor's broody hen. I candled them and I saw veining. So, I would just put some under her. I hope all goes well!
fl.gif
thumbsup.gif

If she's broody this is what I would do. I would put two to four eggs under her in the evening and if she continues to set on them for 3 more days then she's definetly gone broody and will candle them at 7 days if you see veining you have a fertile egg

Ok- Thanks! Should I try to move her to a "safer" nesting place or just leave her be? She is not quite a year old and this is the first time she's gone broody. Our nesting boxes are a couple feet off the floor and have a 2 in. lip on them to keep the shavings in them... Obviously if I leave her in the box, once the hatching date is approaching I will be watching her carefully! I just don't want to disrupt her broodiness!!

I would sneak a dozen eggs under her and candle them at a week! Don't want to waste a good broody!. be sure to mark your calendar for 21 days, your 1st day being 24 hours after you set them. Then on the last couple days put a piece of wire or cloth over her nest so babies wont fall out, then move her lower with all her chicks once all have hatched. Depending on the breeds you have her with, I would move her and her babies into their own area on the ground and let that momma do all the work for you. Chicks don't need food or water the 1st couple days, but the momma does so be sure once you put the wire or whatever over her nest box, take her out a couple times a day to poop eat and dust bathe. We love our broody's and good luck!

I would sneak a dozen eggs under her and candle them at a week! Don't want to waste a good broody!. be sure to mark your calendar for 21 days, your 1st day being 24 hours after you set them. Then on the last couple days put a piece of wire or cloth over her nest so babies wont fall out, then move her lower with all her chicks once all have hatched. Depending on the breeds you have her with, I would move her and her babies into their own area on the ground and let that momma do all the work for you. Chicks don't need food or water the 1st couple days, but the momma does so be sure once you put the wire or whatever over her nest box, take her out a couple times a day to poop eat and dust bathe. We love our broody's and good luck!
oh, and be sure to mark the eggs with a pencil on the end so you can tell if another hen is laying eggs in her nest. That way you can tell which are new and which are old. I use a sharpie and put a small number 1 - whatever, but some say don't use a sharpie but with a pencil its hard to see especially if the eggs get dirty.

Ok. I have White Leghorns, GSL, BA, NHR and BR. My 3 roos are BA, BR and GSL (I think). I just went out to check for eggs (for the 2nd time today) and found one on the floor... so I picked that up and stuck it in the nest box with her (she hasn't laid eggs since she went broody- although I think other hens have laid eggs in "her" box when she gets down- DH found some the other night with her). She scooped right up underneath herself...! SO COOL!!! :D Should I wait till this evening when everyone comes in to roost to put eggs under her? Or can I go ahead and put eggs in now?

If she is happy to take them now, go ahead and try but if others are laying there as well, be sure to mark the eggs. eggs that have a pointy end and a rounded end should be used, not odd really round on both ends or pointy on both ends.

If she is happy to take them now, go ahead and try but if others are laying there as well, be sure to mark the eggs. eggs that have a pointy end and a rounded end should be used, not odd really round on both ends or pointy on both ends.

Thanks. I have eggs that I collected today, and some from yesterday. I also have several in the fridge. Is it ok to take eggs from the fridge to put under her (to get the right shaped ones)?

I have almost always used refrigerated eggs and have had great success but just so you know, refrigerated eggs will not incubate. The eggs should be this weeks or newer (some say 2 weeks or 10 days but why try with older eggs? get as fresh as you can), put them on the counter and bring them to room temp before you put them under her.

Make sure there is a good bowl shaped nest under her so no one rolls out, maybe just add a little fresh bedding around her and she will fuss with it to make it perfect

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom