Broody Hen- would like to set eggs under her....

This morning I found this little chick! I wasnt expecting them to start until tomorrow. This should be a lemon orpington, since then, we have 3 more chicks, possibly 3 chocolate orpingtons. I bought 7 eggs, once they have all hatched I will try to get a good picture up of all of them. They were a mixed batch, but the gal knew there were 2 or 3 lemons and 3 chocolates, not sure what the other 2 are going to be, other then orpingtons. So excited!
D.gif
Yes!
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
WEEEEEEEE!

This morning I found this little chick! I wasnt expecting them to start until tomorrow. This should be a lemon orpington, since then, we have 3 more chicks, possibly 3 chocolate orpingtons. I bought 7 eggs, once they have all hatched I will try to get a good picture up of all of them. They were a mixed batch, but the gal knew there were 2 or 3 lemons and 3 chocolates, not sure what the other 2 are going to be, other then orpingtons. So excited!
D.gif
Yes!
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
WEEEEEEEE!

Yay!!! SOOO Cute!!! :D Can't wait to see the rest of them! I only have just over a week till mine should start!!! I'm going to close off the nesting box tomorrow- my other hens are laying eggs on top of the ones we're trying to hatch and cracking them!!! :( Next time around I will try moving the hen to her own space!

I moved mine because the momma was getting off the eggs and my daughter thought she had left them so her and DH moved them with her into a small cat crate into the garage. Another large breed hen kept laying her eggs in with hers anyway so its fine that she was moved. I was so afraid they werent going to hatch, but so far 4 out of 7, still 2 pipping and cheeping in egg!

I moved mine because the momma was getting off the eggs and my daughter thought she had left them so her and DH moved them with her into a small cat crate into the garage. Another large breed hen kept laying her eggs in with hers anyway so its fine that she was moved. I was so afraid they werent going to hatch, but so far 4 out of 7, still 2 pipping and cheeping in egg!

Were you letting her outside everyday? I have a cat crate that I could put her in in the bottom of the coop... Wonder if that would be better than keeping her in the nest...

Were you letting her outside everyday? I have a cat crate that I could put her in in the bottom of the coop... Wonder if that would be better than keeping her in the nest...

Yes, that would work well, each morning let her out long enough to go poop, drink, eat dustbath, I only let mine off her eggs for about 10 minutes max before I left for work. Good idea to keep her in the coop, Josephine is in the garage and I actually took her out of the crate, rushed her through the laundry room and out the back door. lol, then my dear sissy said I could just carry the crate outside, duh. I give her some sort of high protein treat at least once a day and a butter tub full of chicken food and water within her reach and encourage her to eat every time I check on her.

I just use a little cup of water, keeps spillage down to a minimum and especially when little chicks come they could drown in it if its not a regular chick waterer. I have some chicks in the garage with a butter cup with marbles in it, it sits into the straw so weight holds it in place, as they get older and drink more water, I take more marbles out so its more water but still weighted.

Day 22- I have one little chicky!!! :D I will get pics this afternoon... Looks like I have another in the process of hatching... Do the hens eat the eggshells after the chicks hatch? I'm so excited!!!! And Babs seems to be such a good mama!!!

So far, 3 of the eggs have hatched (another blk/wht and a yellow) of the 7. One more has pipped and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival (its been pipped sine around noonish on Feb. 8). Will post more pics when I can!! :)

Back
Top Bottom