Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rides2far, Jan 17, 2016.

1. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    One of my 10 month old pullets has decided to hatch golf balls. She is now in a time out cage with food & water. Any hints or suggestions?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like you know what you are doing, should take around 3 days depending on how long she was broody, the longer they are broody the longer it takes to break them, I can sometimes catch them on the first day and break them in two days. Still takes at least 2 weeks to resume egg laying, most take about a month.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    My experience went like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest, I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop and I would feed her some crumble a couple times a day.

I let her out a couple times a day and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two.

Water nipple bottle added after pic was taken.
    [​IMG]

4. rides2far

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    Just letting you guys know, I placed her in a cage as suggested. It took about 3 or 4 days to break her. It was actually pretty easy. So far, out of 14, she's the only one to go broody so far. (Knock on wood.)

1 person likes this.
  5. rides2far

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    This same hen has gone broody 2x more since I first posted. Little bugger! The others have not gone broody at all, thank heavens. She just spent 4 days in a cage. It was so hot I was worried, but she made it.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Unfortunately some are like that, and all my bantams are like that, so I'm pretty used to it.

7. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    I have a pen that I can lock my broody in, away from the coop. I put her on the roost at night-it usually only takes a day or two.

8. tracker77

tracker77 Out Of The Brooder

Related question. Does the introduction of a rooster trigger broodiness? One of this year's batch of chicks turned out to be a Mr. Pullet. Living in NC, we're trying to decide how to handle the HB2 bathroom issue, but so far, none of the other pullets and hens have complained. I do have a 2 yr old hen that has gone broody. First one in 3 years I've had go broody. Up to this point, I've only kept hens, and not really setup for incubating, etc. So... back to my original question. Does the addition of a rooster to a hen-only flock trigger broodiness?
    TIA

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Nope

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by