Broody Hen?

CoalLucker

Chirping
Jul 18, 2016
Indiana
I hadn't seen one of my hens all day so I went to check the coop and here she was. She's never acted like this before so I was wondering if she was broody.

She certainly puffed up like a broody and pretty much told you to leave her alone. :lau

Maybe not fully broody yet but looks to be headed that direction.

She is very pretty by the way. :love

Last edited:
very beautiful hen. what breed is she? She certainly looks broody to me, but i have hens that do that when they are laying just because they don't want to be touched while egg laying. You can lift her up and check her chest, if she is broody, she will have two lines called brood patches of skin where the feathers have come out. When she is setting on eggs she puts the eggs against these patches of skin to keep them warm. If you don't want chicks or have too huge a flock already, you can offer to hatch some for neighbors or friends who want more chickens or are looking to start a flock. Thats what I do, so now my little Dutch Bantam can hatch all the chicks she wants. Good luck!

very beautiful hen. what breed is she? She certainly looks broody to me, but i have hens that do that when they are laying just because they don't want to be touched while egg laying. You can lift her up and check her chest, if she is broody, she will have two lines called brood patches of skin where the feathers have come out. When she is setting on eggs she puts the eggs against these patches of skin to keep them warm. If you don't want chicks or have too huge a flock already, you can offer to hatch some for neighbors or friends who want more chickens or are looking to start a flock. Thats what I do, so now my little Dutch Bantam can hatch all the chicks she wants. Good luck!
thank you! I believe she is a partridge brahma but I'm not sure because she was given to me by a friend.
and I'll go check for those lines! thank you!

Back
Top Bottom