Broody hen?

Bernie003

In the Brooder
May 26, 2017
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and have a few questions. I have six Rhode Island Reds. I've read that they aren't typically broody but I'm wondering if one of my hens hasn't gone broody. She doesn't want to leave the nesting box. She has remained in there overnight and refused to roost. This morning I let the hens out to range after most had laid and forced her out, shutting the run gate behind her.

At first she ran after the other hens but then circled back to the coop and walked around looking for a way in. I brought food and water out and she did eat and drink. She walked around with her feathers all puffed out. Typically, she always let me pick her up but she didn't want that today and ran away. She wasn't listless, went after bugs in garden but never strayed far from the coop.

When they went in tonight, she initially jumped on roost but shortly got down and went in nesting box. She is a loving hen but didn't want to be bothered by me or the other hens. Talked a lot more too.

Doesn't she sound broody? Is yes, how can I help her and If she's not, what should I look for next???

Do you have roosters in your flock? If not her eggs would be infertile and will never hatch. You could break her of broodiness but, nice weather should be coming, great for chicks. You might get a couple of fertile eggs ( any breed) and put them in the nest box. Hopefully she will cover them and tuck them in under her carefully.

Hi and welcome to BYC. You have some good advice from D/Diva. There's nothing nicer than seeing momma and chicks around the place - why not give it a shot :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Does she raise her feathers when you stick your hand into the box? Does she growl at you at all? Does she cluck cluck cluck all over when she is not in the box? When she poops, are the huge and stinky? (ha) All or any of these are broody traits.

They can hang out in the nest boxes either because they are broody and sometimes they can be eggbound. (there is a stuck egg that she can't pass.) Usually when they are eggbound, they can't poop because the egg is blocking off the vent and waste doesn't pass. An easy way to check is to put on a glove and gently insert your finger into her vent. If she has a stuck egg, you will feel it immediately. If she has no egg present in her oviduct, then I would say yes, she is broody.

I used to break broodies by keeping them out of the nest boxes, however in some hens, it causes depression. I have found they get over it a lot faster if you let nature run it's course. The broodiness will pass a week or so later.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours! :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Does she raise her feathers when you stick your hand into the box? Does she growl at you at all? Does she cluck cluck cluck all over when she is not in the box? When she poops, are the huge and stinky? (ha) All or any of these are broody traits.

They can hang out in the nest boxes either because they are broody and sometimes they can be eggbound. (there is a stuck egg that she can't pass.) Usually when they are eggbound, they can't poop because the egg is blocking off the vent and waste doesn't pass. An easy way to check is to put on a glove and gently insert your finger into her vent. If she has a stuck egg, you will feel it immediately. If she has no egg present in her oviduct, then I would say yes, she is broody.

I used to break broodies by keeping them out of the nest boxes, however in some hens, it causes depression. I have found they get over it a lot faster if you let nature run it's course. The broodiness will pass a week or so later.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours! :)
Thank you for the warm welcome!! Yes, yes and yes! She keeps her feathers fluffed outside the coop also but I did see her drop an egg. Ok, I will let nature run its course and hope she returns to her happy self!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and have a few questions. I have six Rhode Island Reds. I've read that they aren't typically broody but I'm wondering if one of my hens hasn't gone broody. She doesn't want to leave the nesting box. She has remained in there overnight and refused to roost. This morning I let the hens out to range after most had laid and forced her out, shutting the run gate behind her.

At first she ran after the other hens but then circled back to the coop and walked around looking for a way in. I brought food and water out and she did eat and drink. She walked around with her feathers all puffed out. Typically, she always let me pick her up but she didn't want that today and ran away. She wasn't listless, went after bugs in garden but never strayed far from the coop.

When they went in tonight, she initially jumped on roost but shortly got down and went in nesting box. She is a loving hen but didn't want to be bothered by me or the other hens. Talked a lot more too.

Doesn't she sound broody? Is yes, how can I help her and If she's not, what should I look for next???
Sounds broody to me. I

My daughter wanted chickens (she's 24) guess who's a new chicken raiser... me! I've found that they all have different personalities, one is brooding. She will gather sometimes 6 eggs and will put up a little fight when I gather eggs

Back
Top Bottom