Broody Hen?

Pics
Tomorrow, I will let mine out. Hopefully, she is done. The other that thought she wanted to be broody is back to laying. Do they sometimes lay smaller eggs once they start back?

Tomorrow, I will let mine out. Hopefully, she is done. The other that thought she wanted to be broody is back to laying. Do they sometimes lay smaller eggs once they start back?
If your talking about just smaller, like a medium when she normally lays a large, mine will lay a smaller egg for a short time, then resumes laying large eggs again. But then, most of the eggs mine lay have varied in size more this year than they did last year. Last year was their first year laying, so maybe age, as well as broodiness, causes variations.

I have another question about broody hens. How often will a hen go broody? Momma hen seems like she maybe starting again. Her babies are now 4 days shy of 2 months old. If she is in the nesting boxes a lot tomorrow into the broody breaking cage, she goes. My husband is like let her hatch more babies. I was the one saying, we don't need more babies. He was like, we can sell them. I'm just not sure about it.

I have another question about broody hens. How often will a hen go broody? Momma hen seems like she maybe starting again. Her babies are now 4 days shy of 2 months old. If she is in the nesting boxes a lot tomorrow into the broody breaking cage, she goes.
Some can go over and over...had one last year, broke her 7 times after she hatched in March and weaned at 4 weeks. She lay for a week or so then start that damn clucking again.

When did she wean the chicks?
Has she laid again yet?

Back
Top Bottom