Broody Hen

Duncan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Duncan, SC
Newb here! I have one rooster and 7 hens that I have had for about 2 years. I let one of the hens set her eggs for the last 3 weeks and figure they will/may hatch in the next week or so.

All birds are in an outdoor coop with an enclosed run. Do I have to do anything besides provide chick starter and water (and let mama do the work) or do I need to separate the chicks from the flock and put in a brooder by themselves?

Will the rooster and other hens attack the chicks? Cocky is the meanest dang chicken I have ever seen.

I hate being so ignorant! LOL

You will get a lot of different opinions on this, but this is mine. I left my mama and her chicks in the coop with all the rest of the flock. That mama does everything. She will not let the other chickens mess with her babies. Just make sure you have chick size food and water out and she will do the rest.

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I just need to watch the rooster. He will attack everyone but me for some reason. If he gets too mean I will just lock his tail outside the coop and he can fend for himself.

PLEASE do not forget to check their little butts! i cant tell everyone enough, i lost 2 baby chicks to pasty butts and vow to never let it happen again to me or anyone else!

Back
Top Bottom