Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Duncan, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Duncan

Duncan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Duncan, SC
    Newb here! I have one rooster and 7 hens that I have had for about 2 years. I let one of the hens set her eggs for the last 3 weeks and figure they will/may hatch in the next week or so.

All birds are in an outdoor coop with an enclosed run. Do I have to do anything besides provide chick starter and water (and let mama do the work) or do I need to separate the chicks from the flock and put in a brooder by themselves?

Will the rooster and other hens attack the chicks? Cocky is the meanest dang chicken I have ever seen.

I hate being so ignorant! LOL

2. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    You will get a lot of different opinions on this, but this is mine. I left my mama and her chicks in the coop with all the rest of the flock. That mama does everything. She will not let the other chickens mess with her babies. Just make sure you have chick size food and water out and she will do the rest.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Depends on Mamma. She may protect them very well... may not. just have to watch. I've never had a problem, mine are all used to broodies and chicks though.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would let mama take care of everything. Since she has stayed in the coop for this long I would not move her.

5. Duncan

Duncan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Duncan, SC
    Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I just need to watch the rooster. He will attack everyone but me for some reason. If he gets too mean I will just lock his tail outside the coop and he can fend for himself.

6. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    PLEASE do not forget to check their little butts! i cant tell everyone enough, i lost 2 baby chicks to pasty butts and vow to never let it happen again to me or anyone else!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by