Broody Hen

zachstedman0103

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2020
I currently have a broody hen sitting on some fertile eggs. The only problem is that she is in a nest box and when the chicks hatch there may not be sufficient space to move. Should I move her now or will it break her, or will I be able to move them once they have hatched?
Also, what do I need to provide once the eggs have hatched?

how long has she been broody? i give my hens several days to make sure they will stay broody then move them and the eggs to our small coop. i give the hen chick starter and water. after the eggs hatch make sure she's not attacking the chicks and mama hen will take it from there.

Does the hen have to be moved? I'm keeping Pippin where she is, I'd like her chicks to grow up understanding the flock dynamics and pecking order so I don't have to integrate them. Make sure there are food and water bowls next to the hen!

My hen is setting on eggs in an egg box. How long will she stay setting to allow all eggs to hatch? I will need to lift chicks out of the box and hope she takes care of them. Should I mess with them and make sure they drink water right away?

Back
Top Bottom