Broody hen

KathrynAB

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2022
Please can someone help! My Buff Orpington is currently sitting on 4 call duck eggs. I moved her last night into a new hut and pen so the ducklings are away from the adults. She’s been sitting on them for 2 weeks.she sat in them fine last night and was sitting happily this morning when I went to let the others out. I’ve just been outside to check on her and somehow she has got out and she’s gone back to the Eglu to sit on nothing! I don’t know how long she has been off the eggs as I’ve been at work. I’ve put her back and securely shut the door and she’s sat on them no bother. The eggs were cold to tough. It’s only been about 60f today (coldest day we’ve had for a while!). Could these still be ok and hatch now that she’s back in them?😢

The eggs should still be viable. Keep an eye on her. In my experience ducks have been more bonded to the nest site than to the eggs, and I have never been able to successfully move a setting duck.

The eggs should still be viable. Keep an eye on her. In my experience ducks have been more bonded to the nest site than to the eggs, and I have never been able to successfully move a setting duck.
I took the eggs away from the ducks as they weren’t interested with the last lot so when my chicken went broody I thought I had it sorted and placed 4 under her and for the last 2 weeks it’s been going great! Until today! She could have been off 30 mins or 6/7 hours I haven’t a clue as I’ve been at work.

Given a low of only 60F, they should still viable if they were so to start with. Hatching may be delayed a bit.
I’ve been candling them to review progress and all have babies in. Just been to check on her again and she’s happily sitting on them, talking to them as if nothing has happened! 🙄

Back
Top Bottom