Broody Hen

Well this morning I found an Easter baby surprise,I thought they weren't gonna hatch for a few more days.So I am soo sad to say that while I was gone today it fell from the Nesting box and died:hit
I put the black hen in a dog kennel and I another baby had hatched out today so it's in there with her, if the other 4 hatch out I will sneak one or two to the jap. bantam in my pic so she can have a few. I have a small kennel waiting for her.
I feel so bad, but You have to learn the hard way i guess:(

I tried to move her at night and she bit me lol. so I just moved her and the new baby and eggs,Update today I broke the last baby out,she's all over her cage sitting down so the other 2 can get warm and so I had to hatch out the last egg,it was cold.It is now on my counter getting a nice warming up from a lamp. It's almost dry,I will put it out with momma soon. I am soo stressed out!!!!! So not bad 3 out of 8
is good for a Momma hen's first attempt at motherhood.
I had actually givin one of my BO 2 of her eggs and she quit sitting and they were verycold the next day I was really upset.
I learned another lesson about those ladies of mine.
She's doing good tryin to feed them so we'll see how this all works out.
big_smile.png

why does a shamo hen lay only a few eggs before setting.She layed ony 4 eggs before setting, I have four adorable chicks,But I sure would liked to have had more.

Back
Top Bottom