Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by modenacart, May 17, 2009.

1. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    I have a black Australop hen that has gone broody and we have not fertilized eggs. I take all the eggs out of the box and she still sits. We even kicked her out of the hen house and she will just sit on the ground. Not sure if we should put fertilized eggs under her or just wait it out.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. susiestozz

susiestozz Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Hi there - we have had the same problem with our girl for going on 4 weeks. Stays in the coup, we lift her out to eat - she just sits on ground then after food is FRANTIC to sit back on an empty nest.

I entered the live chat here at this (fab) forum and the two main responses were: she will grow out of it and - get her some eggs. Which we have done today. We bought I think a rabbit hutch with separate nesting box and a little enclosed run and our little Maggie is sat on her nest with 4 big fertilised eggs - chicken heaven! We have put food and water in there too for during the day when we are working.

Our chicken run is separated into 2 parts so Maggie is in her own little area
    away from the others and she seems happy - here's to the next 3 weeks!

We didn't want to give her eggs but in the end we thought we'd try (and at least break this dilemma she's in!) This is her 2nd broody spell but the 1st only lasted a week.

But it's up to you. If it continues, why not try her with some eggs if you can? Like all the other guys on this forum said, she will do all the work and raise them babies all on her own!! Good Luck!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  4. bobeena

bobeena Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2007
    Our buff orpington goes broody two or three times a year. Once we let her hatch out some eggs. Otherwise I just keep the eggs picked up that she's trying to sit on (eggs from our other hens) and then slip a frozen water bottle into the nest. I read that on this forum somewhere. When I see her in the box, I just take her out and put her outside. A few days of this and she stops being broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by