Broody hen

MountainChickenMama

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
So, I set eggs under a broody Cochin of mine, but none of them developed. The eggs in incubator fare doing great, purchased them all on same day. Just wondering what could have happened that the broody hen couldn't get them to develop?

Thx in advance

How old was the broody was it het first time? Are all the eggs from the same clutch and was the broody sheltered or outdoors in her nest? What nest materials did you give her? Sorry for all the questions just trying to figure it out lol :D

Wood chips arent great because they cant make a nest out of it which will hold in the heat, I use wood chips also but always put hay on top and the hen then makes a large cup shaped nest. This is the only thing I can think of that might have made a difference as my hen is just a year aswel and the eggs i put under her are doing great. Maybe get some hay and try again? Good luck :)

This is her creation lol :)

How long did she set on the eggs? Was she really tight to the nest, only getting off once a day? Did she stay on them at night?

She was broody for over a week then because I couldnt break her broodyness I put five of my brown leghorns egggs under her :) she gets off almost once every a day for a min or two i know this not because im stalking her but because im counting poo's (i know ewww :D ) yes she stayed on them all night long some broodys only get off once every few days.

That's odd the incubated eggs did well and the broody eggs didn't. Do you know if they started developing? Did they get part way or just never start?

It looks as though at least one did start and then quit :(. I will try again maybe, we will see. Thanks so much for the help

Back
Top Bottom