Broody Hen?

FFChick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
NJ
My hens have stopped laying eggs. Our Bantum Hen went broody a couple weeks ago. The other hens slowly stopped laying eggs. After a week of this behavior we placed her in a little cage. She seemed to be acting normal again so she is back in the pen with others. Still no eggs? Is this normal. I thought maybe since we have shorter day light this caused a problem. I now have a light on in the coop.

How old are they? Maybe they are going into a molt? Mine have, it seems like one right after the other, 4 hens. The timing was pretty good though because my BO and 2 Black Stars started laying almost at the same time. So I'm still getting 3 eggs a day while everyone else is on vacation.

Could be either, my hens have slowed down in the egg laying dept, also have a broody !!!! maybe her body is comming out of being broody since you think your broke it and just needs time to get back into egg laying. The light should help for a few extra daylight hours !!!

We purchased these hens as adults and I'm not sure of how old they really are. I have six 7 week old chicks in a large cage. At least I'll know there real ages. My bigger problem is the bantum hen is real nasty to my younger 2 Reds that should be starting to lay soon. Yesterday one young red flew and hung on the side of the pen fence to get away from this nasty little hen. I'm ready to make her into soup since she hasn't given me any eggs in a while.

HEY!
I discovered a 1st egg from my young red. She was the hen that was chased by the bantum hen yesterday. I guess the egg was scared out of her after she hung off the pen fence. I'm still waiting for the others to start laying again.

Back
Top Bottom