Broody hens and chick rearing

kcpaull

Chirping
Jul 6, 2016
A couple of my BO hens went broody about a month ago and after taking all their eggs away, I finally ordered a few Red Sex Link females for them. I ordered 4 and got an extra so I gave 2 to one hen and 3 to the other. All is going well, but I noticed something I hadn't seen before and wondered if anyone else had observed behavior like this. The hen with three chicks is in a rather shallow nest box and her chicks were down this morning eating and drinking from the food and water dispensers I put up last night after slipping them under her. No problem, but they couldn't get back in the nest box so I had to put them back. The other hen is in a deeper nest box and the chicks couldn't get out. I offered her food and water and she shared the food with the chicks. Then, I offered her water and instead of just drinking it, she rubbed her wattles in it and drank, too. At first, I thought she was trying to cool down, but it's only 75 degrees in there, then I noticed the chicks drinking droplets of water off her feathers and wattles. I was wondering if this happens all the time and if that's why drinking nipples and many plastic waterers are red. I know chickens will go for anything red, even an open sore, but I've never seen a hen intentionally get her wattles wet like that before. Not that I have a lot of experience, but I hadn't seen anything about it in what I've read about hens brooding their chicks.

That is interesting.... could be intentional, or just coincidence.
Chicks peck at mama's quite frequently, often grabbing feed if it's there.
I'd make sure the chicks can get in and out of nests tho.

Wattle wetting is coincidental...chicks pecking at it is normal.
Are all eggs hatched?
They need to be able to get out and back into nest,
to eat/drink/poop(especially mama),
can you move them to a nest on the floor?

Back
Top Bottom