Broody hens cause many questions

rynee914

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2020
Hello all!

I'm not completely new to chickens, we raised a flock growing up. However, this time around I have broody hens that are complicated! We have 29 chickens right now, two hens that are currently setting. We have barred rock, golden comets, new hampshire red, golden laced wyandotte, blue wyandotte, silver laced wyandotte, americauna, tru blue whiting, light bantam, welsummers, an ancona, a black astralorp, and a couple of crossed roosters. our two blue wyandottes are currently setting with one on day 21 right now. They have broken so many eggs (started with 12 each; one has 6, the other 4 left). Our new hampshire red set last summer with no problems whatsoever. These two have had rotten eggs break, broken eggs themselves, moved nests for some unknown reason (my guess is because a group of eggs was there from the other hens and they got confused), and pooping in the nest!! So much trouble!

A quick question is, on my hen with day 21 eggs, no pipping or chirping is seen or heard. Should I be worried?

Are you absolutely positive that they are 21 days?

I would wait for at least 48 hours and then check them with a flashlight or you could check them now if you would like but put them under her again...

I always try to not disturb a hen on a nest.

Are you positive the eggs are fertile? If a hen goes broody they will basically sit on any egg fertile or not.

Are you absolutely positive that they are 21 days?

I would wait for at least 48 hours and then check them with a flashlight or you could check them now if you would like but put them under her again...

I always try to not disturb a hen on a nest.

Are you positive the eggs are fertile? If a hen goes broody they will basically sit on any egg fertile or not.
They were candled last night because I was afraid they may have been halted in development due to her breaking a stinky egg about 5 days ago. I saw blood vessels and a distinct air sac in most. Some were so dark I could only see an air sac. I was not sure I seen any movement. Today marks 21 days since I put eggs under her. So it could technically be only day 20 of incubation if you don't count the first day.

Welcome! If you saw the blood vessels still, it’s not quite time. As long as your hen is sitting, you can’t really do anything but wait. As far as the bad hatches, that is likely from dirty eggs or poor nutrition. Being winter, it could be a temporary thing.
I figured it being winter and her confused temporary nest switching, it may delay the hatching process. Our hens have been on laying pellets since 4 months of age. So i hope thats been enough nutrition. I'll just keep checking daily for changes. Thank you!

They were candled last night because I was afraid they may have been halted in development due to her breaking a stinky egg about 5 days ago. I saw blood vessels and a distinct air sac in most. Some were so dark I could only see an air sac. I was not sure I seen any movement. Today marks 21 days since I put eggs under her. So it could technically be only day 20 of incubation if you don't count the first day.
The first day doesn't count. You need 24 hours for it to count as the first day.

Back
Top Bottom