Broody hens hatching out ducks

ladybug4ut1

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Central Florida
I have a broody hen that is on two duck eggs and both eggs are pipped. Yeah my question to some one is do i leave them with the chickens or do i pull them out and put them in a brroder because i have 3 week old ducks in there pen too and i do ont want them to get cold or drown. please someone give me advice on this

yippiechickie.gif

idunno.gif

Lisa

I have three week old ducks and goselings in the same pen and i have the bottom of a shallow tote in there for water for the babies to play in. I have read on here that the newborn ducks can drown themselves. The three week olds have only been out there about 4 days. so i did not allow them to have free access to playing water. there water was in the chicken quart waterers so i am just worried that they would drown in the water. I do not want to lose them over that.

Quote:
from what i have read i think its the baby chicks that can drown themselves. i thihnk ducks are pretty safe though. Somone else posted something like this and said that everything was fine except for when the ducklings would play in the water the mama hen would go crazy thinking her chicks were goinfg to drown. as far as i know duckilings are pretty much born knowing how to swim. im not really an expert so dont quote me on that but thats just what i would think! hope this helps

The oil glands on a duckling are not formed for a while, so the water does not repel off of their backs and they get soaked completely. This makes them get sick easier. I do not believe that they will drown though. Ducklings do know how to swim from the start.

Mother ducks have a way of protecting her hatchlings from getting soaked.

Dorothy

Back
Top Bottom