Broody hens in the snow!

Lovesumchicks

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
I have had 3 game hens hatch chicks in the past 2 months in temperatures in the 40- 15 degree range. I do keep a heat lamp which I know could be the cause. We have 8 inches of snow at our house and my game hen has been sitting for 3 day's now. On 10 eggs I don't think she can manage that many but I'm not getting involved this time. I'm going to let her do everything. Just a question though being it's very cold will she be okay with just a heat lamp. Coop is very warm inside with great ventilation. I have food inside but water out side. She will have to go down the run about 3 feet away to get water. No snow in their run as I have a tarp over it. I could be just overwhelmed I know game hens are very hardy but worry that she will lose weight from brooding possibly getting too cold. It's going to be 17 degrees tonight.

My little girl

Attachments

• 20210131_155558.jpg
    20210131_155558.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 25
I've seen relatively small hens cover an obnoxious number of eggs and I've seen large ones barely manage a few. I think some of it comes down to how well they contort themselves.

Now - Here's the thing about too many eggs. She will move all those eggs around the nest multiple times a day.

If there are any that aren't properly covered - if you can see the eggs while she's on the nest - I would take a couple out. If you boot her from the nest for her poop/eat/drink break, feel and make sure each egg is warm. If any are cold, there are too many.

Reason being - because each egg gets moved, each egg will end up in the cold spot which could in turn kill embryo after embryo after embryo.

If they're all the same temperature when you take her off, things should go fine.

I’d have a chick waterer in there when the chicks come so they don’t need to go outside for water. You can also offer her food while she’s sitting if you’re concerned she’s not getting enough on her daily munch. I’d soak it or give her a little water dish. I’m giving my broody soaked food in a lid really close when it’s really cold, and a chick waterer.

I have a chick waterer in there now. My rooster went in there and started eating. He made her start growling he went back out side. 😂 she is a fiesty thing. My rooster and other hen haven't bothered her so far they have been spending most days in a little enclosed area out of the wind. They have really liked to stay out side any ways. I'm worried about blocking off the coop again so chicks can't come out and having integrated issues again. The last hen I done that to it was a mess. My other hen in the coop has spurs she is boss over my hen sitting and my rooster, so I don't want to close the coop on this one.

Back
Top Bottom