Broody hens with chicks.

Bryam

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Hello!
I have 2 broody silkie hens, wit chicks. The rooster and another hen are with them, should I remove them from the cage or leave them all together? So far there are no signs of aggression.

Thanks for the advice!

I currently have two hens that are fighting over the nest. When everything is open one will sit in the box in the run and one will sit in the coop. I've been taking the eggs because I'm worried it's still too cold for babies. How long should I wait before I let them try to hatch chicks. I was thinking let them start at the end of February and expect hatching around spring.

Yeah that's what I'm worrying about. The eggs are always warm when I take them but right now the temperature is still dropping pretty low at times. I figure by spring it should be warm enough for her to keep them. And if I have to I have a light but I don't want to sweat her out trying to keep them alive. I definitely don't want to lose any babies if possible. I already have someone wanting some babies. I told them probably towards the end of march for estimated hatch time.

242C0598-EFA3-4BA0-AE70-A3C9B879C05C.jpeg
EDC1F5CD-4ECA-4949-AEB8-6BD1F5802272.jpeg
Here is my broody thai hen who try to hatch some fake eggs over 21 days. I went to a local feed store and bought 8 chicks for her. I got 4 brown leghorns and 4 Easter eggers for her on the 23rd day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom