Broody Hen's

Ebal

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2013
Georgia
Try to be short...
>Two hens went broody at same time Silkey and Bantam .
>No roosters but added a few fertile eggs from a friend.
>Had some mix up with other hens laying nonfertile eggs in the mix... Hatched one chick.
>Bantam has taken over mothering the chick....
>Silky continues to sit broody in the nest and all eggs have been taken. Sat for 21 days till that one hatch now been sitting for 12 days on nothing...... So been on nest now for 30-36 days.
> Have source for fertile eggs. Should I put some under her at this point and let her start over? Is it OK?
>Or should I just try to break her broodiness?

Almost the same thing happened to me, it's up to you if you want to hatch more chicks them go for it if you rather not then you could try and break her.

Don't mind hatching a few more chicks but OK to have her sit another 21 days? ...OK

Chicken jail. Break her. She's been sitting for too long. She needs to bring her strength back up before she can sit again.

Next time mark all your fertile eggs with a crayon before you even put them under the bird. Then you can remove the unmarked eggs.

your choice, put more eggs, or break her....I have tried many ways to do this, the best way, is to use 2 large buckets, with a cage suspended between, place her inside with food and water. The cool air will circulate underneath her and cool her down, usually takes about 2-3 days to do this.

Next time, as stated, mark your fertile eggs with a pencil...do this for only 2 or 3 days. Remove all eggs that are not marked.

A hen usually only sits for 21 to 23 days, then walks off with her hatchlings, the rest of the eggs will die if fertile. I had an Ancona sit on eggs for me just a few weeks ago, she walked off leaving 2 with the chicks inside cheeping, I grabbed them and placed under a heat lamp, in the morning I had 2 chicks, so I snuck them under her with her other 2 chicks, she raised all 4 just fine.

She needs a break, during broodiness, they don't eat or drink as needed....its very hard on them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom