Hen has floppy comb and doesn't lay anymore

Cryllc82

Chirping
Mar 27, 2022
West Virginia
Hi there, my largest hen is a mystic marans, 2 years old. Her comb is still very red has become flopped over and discolored a darker color on the tips and she has stopped laying the last 2 months or so. She isn't walking funny but something is off about her. She seems to have less interest in her surroundings although she's still eating but isn't herself as I have known her. Less active and less chatty. She occasionally mounts 2 of the other hens. This part has been going o
20240513_082240.jpg
20240506_191105.jpg
n at least a year. I have a flock of 5 hens. They all get Dumor organic crumble, about a 1/4th cup scratch in a peck toy and get at least 2 hours of free range a day. Any advice on supplements or medications I should try with my marans I'll accept.

Give her an examination, check her feet for swelling or bumblefoot. Try and feel her crop and compare it to your healthy birds. Try giving her fluids to ensure hydration. You can add some electrolyte supplement too.

I have a hen like this right now. She has bumblefoot and pain can often cause these symptoms.

Give her an examination, check her feet for swelling or bumblefoot. Try and feel her crop and compare it to your healthy birds. Try giving her fluids to ensure hydration. You can add some electrolyte supplement too.

I have a hen like this right now. She has bumblefoot and pain can often cause these symptoms.
She actually had bumblefoot last year and we got that cleared up fairly quickly. I checked her a few weeks ago for it again but I'll re examine her tonight for it. Thank you 🙂

Back
Top Bottom