Broody hens

Silkie Princess

Crossing the Road
Jun 24, 2021
Slovakia, Europe
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! I am new to hatching chicks with a broody hen. One of my silkies went broody and I gave her 10 fertile eggs to sit on. Now about a week ago another hen went broody. Just wondering can I give her 5 of the other broodies eggs. They are on day 16.

I’ve been told that it’s best to give broodys atleast10 days on eggs before they get chicks, just in case they get suspicious and reject the hatchs. So you might run the risk of that...but if the worst comes to worst, you can always just give them back to the first broody. So I’d say, go ahead :)

I’ve been told that it’s best to give broodys atleast10 days on eggs before they get chicks, just in case they get suspicious and reject the hatchs. So you might run the risk of that...but if the worst comes to worst, you can always just give them back to the first broody. So I’d say, go ahead :)
Thanks I will give her the eggs tonight becouse they are due to go into lockdown tomorow.

How do you have your broody hens set up? Are they isolated from each other or can they get to each other? It sounds like they are in separate nests.

I've had a broody hen abandon her nest when another broody's eggs started to hatch. They fought over the nest and destroyed half the eggs. I no longer allow two broody's to have access to each others nests.

If I were in your situation I'd either break the second broody form being broody or, if I wanted her to hatch eggs, I'd isolate her from the first and give her different eggs. They can fight over the babies after they hatch, even if it's been a while since they hatched.

Some people are successful letting multiple broodies hatch in the same coop. It can happen. But to me it's not worth the risk.

How do you have your broody hens set up? Are they isolated from each other or can they get to each other? It sounds like they are in separate nests.

I've had a broody hen abandon her nest when another broody's eggs started to hatch. They fought over the nest and destroyed half the eggs. I no longer allow two broody's to have access to each others nests.

If I were in your situation I'd either break the second broody form being broody or, if I wanted her to hatch eggs, I'd isolate her from the first and give her different eggs. They can fight over the babies after they hatch, even if it's been a while since they hatched.

Some people are successful letting multiple broodies hatch in the same coop. It can happen. But to me it's not worth the risk.
Yes, they have separate runs and nests. I gave the eggs to the other broody and she took them without hesitating. I think one of the eggs started piping because she is more protective of her eggs than usual. And neither of them went off the nest today. I'm getting excited. I Will post photos once they hatch:jumpy

Actually around 5!:celebrate
1624802280283.png

Back
Top Bottom