Broody Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NMbirds, May 6, 2011.

1. NMbirds

NMbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Abiquiu, New Mexico
    Lots of people want them, we would rather not and would like to stop them from laying in the boxes all day. Sometimes there are even two in the same nesting box. So, what's the best way to change that innate behavior? Thanks.

2. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    I gave this advice in another post today...Hope it helps!

Try rubbing her under-belly with a few ice cubes. I know how strange this sounds but let me explain why this works:

When a hens body gives the signal that enough eggs have been layed to brood over, a hormone is released that raises her skin tempature on her belly so she can properly incubate the eggs. Until the chicks hatch she will remain there (with the exception of once daily) and her underside will stay warm. After the chicks hatch, a mother leaves the nest and her body cools, this triggers the "broody" hormone to stop. This is why people suggest a wire-floored cage. This air-flow from beneath cools her belly. But some hens are more determined. Until you trigger the stopping of the hormone production, she will brood over anything and fight for that right!

When I was told this I thought this was the oddest thing I had ever heard but when my RIR hen made a several poor attempts at brooding this year and destoryed my incubation eggs. I tried everything, even the wire floor but no luck as soon as I thought it had passed I would let her out and the next morning she would be brooding over one egg! Then tried the ice. After three ice-baths she quit completley and hasn't tried agian. If you can't hold her to rub the ice on her stomach then replace the eggs your removing with ice cubes each day. She will become uncomfortable and eventually quit. I would never make such an outrageous suggestion unless I knew from experiance it works.....or you could let her brood on two or three fertile eggs and avoid the whole headache.....

Just Some Advice From A Friend

Timothy in KY

3. NMbirds

NMbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Abiquiu, New Mexico
    Thanks, I've been following the pissy pants thread....funny as well as helpful. Much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by