Broody hens?

GBov

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Not sure if this is hte right place for my question but they do hatch eggs, right?

Two of my silkie hens have gone broody but as they are in the nest box in the chicken pen if I give them fertile eggs are the big hens are going to be a danger to them when/if they hatch?

Should I cage them seperately or together or what? I can get them some fertile eggs this week and would like to see them try, at least, to raise some chicks.

Get the eggs, and let 'em set! There are people on here who let the broodies set right in the coop with the other chickens, and when it comes to integrating them, the mamas will protect the babies from the other chickens. Personally, I've never had luck doing that way. The eggs always ended up broken by other chickens getting into the nest, or disappearing altogether. If you're more comfortable with moving them, then do so. Good luck!

Yep, broodies hatch eggs. :p
Once the chicks hatch, they and mommy need to be seperated from the other birds - it's not safe keeping them in the same enclosure. You could section off an erea of the coop with chicken wire, or put them into a dog crate. It's an individual hen thing, some broodies will be ok housed together, others will go nuts.

Good luck!!! :)

Have set up a large nest box and a small wire enclosure for them. As they were working together to keep 7 sterile eggs warm they should be most happy with 8 live-uns.

Back
Top Bottom