Broody hiding "out in the wild"

Petra Pancake

Songster
Jul 15, 2016
In the suburbs of Tel Aviv
Has anyone had a broody sitting on a hidden nest outside the coop? One of my hens is hiding. She turns up only briefly twice a day to eat and drink and then vanishes again. She's very stealthy about it, I've got a general idea where she is - somewhere underneath our house - but I haven't managed to see where exactly she goes. She always waits until I'm not looking before sneaking away. I'm not sure if to leave her or try to catch her. How good are broody hens at avoiding predators? Anyone ever left a broody out there successfully?

Every year I have multiple hens go broody in a field. Predators for most part kept away. Most of the time I use a dog to find hen on the nest. I have found nest by watching the hen as she can betray general location when she comes off and returns to nest. Hens that are accustomed to my bringing treats like life meal worms can be called off nest with the treat as I watch. Otherwise just poke slowly through locations a hen might choose to nest. Nest can sometimes be easier to find while the hen is off as the eggs generally contrast more with background than the hen does.

Back
Top Bottom