Broody: How much longer than 21 days? Will she take motherless chicks?

Lelilamom

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 28, 2013
My best broody, Lightning, hatches every two years and is a great mom. This year she started with four eggs all laid on March 1 and quickly discarded two. I secluded her so she didn't get more eggs. She's been on two eggs every since. She's never failed to hatch before. Lightning is 7 years old now and a pet and very special. I tried to candle them but they are EE eggs and so thick I don't see through them. Do I give her 2 week old chicks I've been raising in the basement? Will they take to her or will she take to them or will she kill them? Anyone have experience slipping poultry house chicks under a broody mom?

My best broody, Lightning, hatches every two years and is a great mom. This year she started with four eggs all laid on March 1 and quickly discarded two. I secluded her so she didn't get more eggs. She's been on two eggs every since. She's never failed to hatch before. Lightning is 7 years old now and a pet and very special. I tried to candle them but they are EE eggs and so thick I don't see through them. Do I give her 2 week old chicks I've been raising in the basement? Will they take to her or will she take to them or will she kill them? Anyone have experience slipping poultry house chicks under a broody mom?
I think 2 weeks old chicks are a little too old for her she would know that they weren't hers.

Do I give her 2 week old chicks I've been raising in the basement? Will they take to her or will she take to them or will she kill them? Anyone have experience slipping poultry house chicks under a broody mom?
You can try, but younger is better.
Have read a couple-few stories about older chicks being accepted by broodies,
depends on the broody.

I'd give the eggs under her a few more days....then think about introducing the hatchery chicks, and just how to do that.

I've read a few theories on when incubation starts etc. Lightning has always been pretty good at knowing when an egg isn't viable. I candled the eggs last night and both have full grown chicks in them, resembling day 19 or 20. I gave them back to her, she tucked them back under she, talked to them a little and then settled down for the night. She, at least, seems convinced they are going to hatch. I checked on her first thing this morning, asked her if she had babies, and she stood up, looked at her eggs, which hadn't pipped, rolled them and sat back down on them. As I mentioned before, Lightning is a special pet. She's 7 yrs old and she and I have been together since she was a day old. I'll trust mama on this and let her keep trying a few more days.

Back
Top Bottom