Broody I think but what do i do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by charlies, Mar 30, 2009.

1. charlies

charlies Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    Wanganui
    Hi all,
    One of our cross silkies has been sitting on the nest all day and also roosted there last night. She was not happy today when I took 2 eggs from under her and got up. We dont want to hatch any eggs and dont have a rooster so what do I do with her? Should I put dummy eggs under her or just keep making her move? We are also going away on friday and have a 'chicken sitter' so I wont be here to look after her. Help please.

2. dustysangel

dustysangel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Springfield
    Just keep pulling the eggs out from under her and she will lose intrest in sitting. You can cool her off by putting her in cold water and she will lose intrest in sitting too. Not going to hurt her if you do nothing about it.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Let her sit for two weeks w/ dummy eggs, go to the feed store, get some chicks and put them under her one night.

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i just read of someone who took her off the nest a couple times a day and carried her for a few minutes. Also put ice cubes under her a couple times a day.

5. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

If you don't want any more chicks(thus don't want to put hatched chicks with her) continue to collect the eggs frequently - DON'T put dummy eggs under her - and take her off the nest when you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by