Broody in November?

I have had a hen go broody and hatch chicks in early February. We do not get extremely cold here, so the temps were between 15-30 F. She of course had no problem keeping the chicks warm. I found the biggest challenge to be keeping chick safe water from freezing. One of those chicks just hatched her own chicks. Another just moved himself into my main coop and took over as dominant "roo".

I had a hen hatch and two weeks later it was negative 20 degrees, she and the chicks did just fine. They would run around like chicks, and then she would call a time out, and they would all get under her and get warmed up.

I only gave her 4 eggs, as I was not sure how it would work. That is my advice, just give her a few eggs, and leave her be to do it how she sees fit.

Mrs K

For me I don't mind the extra work taking care of her and the chicks. I've always hatched in the spring and summer just never this late in the year. I have a spare coop I use as a brooder so I'm just going to turn it into her own private chicken palace and see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the input. .
Is your spare coop that u plan to move her to going to be inside or outside?

Was planning on her being outside but I'm think I need to move her inside. The weather has been crazy 75 one day and 30 the next.
Reason I ask I I'm in similar situation...AND I have 9 eggs in lockdown hoping to hatch any day now!
I would LUV to be able to slide the hatched ones into my broody and her raise em...but it being her first time and our weather is crazy too idk.

Reason I ask I I'm in similar situation...AND I have 9 eggs in lockdown hoping to hatch any day now!
I would LUV to be able to slide the hatched ones into my broody and her raise em...but it being her first time and our weather is crazy too idk.
I have eggs in the incubator also just in case she doesn't hatch any. Hopefully she will except them as her own.

She will! They both will! And she will do fine.

When you want to slip them, first make sure each chick has had a drink of water. Then close to dark, let the chicks get a little bit cold, they will be peeping madly. Let the hens listen to that for a bit, then using gloves, cause she might bite, stick them under her. They will catch on quick this is a good warm place to be, and stick like ticks.

Her voice will often change when she feels the movement under her. And the chicks should get quiet.

Then the hard part, turn out the light, shut the door and leave them alone till morning.

Good luck,

Mrs K

She will! They both will! And she will do fine.

When you want to slip them, first make sure each chick has had a drink of water. Then close to dark, let the chicks get a little bit cold, they will be peeping madly. Let the hens listen to that for a bit, then using gloves, cause she might bite, stick them under her. They will catch on quick this is a good warm place to be, and stick like ticks.

Her voice will often change when she feels the movement under her. And the chicks should get quiet.

Then the hard part, turn out the light, shut the door and leave them alone till morning.

Good luck,

Mrs K
Awe thank u so much for this info!
I'm prayin my son-in-law gets my large coop finished so I can do just this!
Otherwise my broody just keeps moving the collection of eggs she has over into poo cause the tiny pre-fab is such a joke.
It ought to be illegal for them to even try to sell those things!!!
But I am living n learning.

So far two have hatched.
20211125_164735.jpg

Back
Top Bottom