Broody Judy

Goatm0m

Chirping
Apr 16, 2022
East Tennessee
Hello all! Hope summer is treating you right. It is very warm and humid here in E TN. We have our run prepared, no coop yet, but I have built a nest in an old tire I picked up and everything is ready for whichever of my neighbor‘s chickens decide to make it home. In the meantime, a hen who I was not that familiar with decided to start brooding in the nest in our open garage. She has been sitting for a little over 3 weeks but I stole some of her eggs while she was having a walk about a few weeks ago.
So I have lots of questions! 1. Is it worth candling to see if they are fertile at this point (probably 14 day eggs), and, if so, why?
2. Would it be possible to move the nest (it is built on top of a styrofoam cooler lid) into the run before they hatch? The run is approximately 100 yards from the garage and not in line sight. I want them to be safe from predators and be able to make friends. I am hoping these will be my babies since I hope to handle them early on. i love the “wild“ ones but they won’t let me touch them.
3. When one chick hatches do they all start hatching?
4. Some of the eggs are not hers. Other hens just sidled up next to her and laid them in “her” nest. Will that be a problem if they hatch?
5. Judy is more active now, less trancy. Does that mean the eggs will hatch soon???
Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• DA766211-00EB-4F4C-9F01-EC5E73486733.png
    DA766211-00EB-4F4C-9F01-EC5E73486733.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
Hello all! Hope summer is treating you right. It is very warm and humid here in E TN. We have our run prepared, no coop yet, but I have built a nest in an old tire I picked up and everything is ready for whichever of my neighbor‘s chickens decide to make it home. In the meantime, a hen who I was not that familiar with decided to start brooding in the nest in our open garage. She has been sitting for a little over 3 weeks but I stole some of her eggs while she was having a walk about a few weeks ago.
So I have lots of questions! 1. Is it worth candling to see if they are fertile at this point (probably 14 day eggs), and, if so, why?
2. Would it be possible to move the nest (it is built on top of a styrofoam cooler lid) into the run before they hatch? The run is approximately 100 yards from the garage and not in line sight. I want them to be safe from predators and be able to make friends. I am hoping these will be my babies since I hope to handle them early on. i love the “wild“ ones but they won’t let me touch them.
4. Some of the eggs are not hers. Other hens just sidled up next to her and laid them in “her” nest. Will that be a problem if they hatch?
5. Judy is more active now, less trancy. Does that mean the eggs will hatch soon???
Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated!!

1. Is it worth candling to see if they are fertile at this point (probably 14 day eggs), and, if so, why?
Yes...can be...if you are concerned that there may have been a staggered lay meaning eggs at different development. Also, it allows you to pull eggs that aren't forming before they spoil (which makes a terrible mess if they explode in the nest). But you don't HAVE to. In your case, I'd candle as you aren't sure when this all started. It can give you an idea when they should hatch.

I do not recommend trying to move the nest this far into setting. Many hens will not relocate to another location but will insist on brooding at their chosen location meaning they will abandon the eggs. It risks a lot of upset for hen and eggs. Once they hatch, after the babes have fluffed and dried (at the end of the 1st day), you can move momma and babes wherever you want and momma will be happy to do so. Hens will abandon the original nest to find a clean location around day 2 or 3.

It depends on when the hen started incubating the eggs. If all the eggs were set at the same time, the eggs will hatch out generally within 24 hours of each other (sometimes up to 48, but I find that what hasn't hatched within 24 isn't going to). Trouble comes when some eggs were started later than the first. Then you will have a staggered hatch meaning different development stages for the chicks. It takes 21 days (give or take 24 hours) for the chick to develop and hatch. So the actual hatch date is determined from the set date (when a hen sits on an egg and warms it for 24 hours...then the embryo begins to form).

Hens can't count and they have NO idea what chick is theirs and what is not. She'll mother them all. Sometimes a finicky hen will pick on a different colored chick (for example the black chick in a sea of yellow chicks). But most hens couldn't care less on color or number. They have chicks...they sit...they mother....IF you have a good broody.

It may mean she is coming out of her broodiness...which if this is day 14 is not good...as she's been sitting for 3 weeks. It could also mean the weather is warmer and she can get up a little more off the eggs. Hens vary as to how much they stay locked on the nest, but if she is serious, she will be sitting on those eggs most of the time getting up only to eat, drink, poo, dust bathe about 20 minutes a day. Some hens get up twice a day. If she really starts getting of the nest for several hours, she may be getting ready to break from the brood as it's been 21 days with no chicks (which is why you have to be careful to not extend some hens). Good news, most hens will brood for about 5 weeks trying to get chicks. So likely it is just variation on Judy's part.

LofMc

1. Is it worth candling to see if they are fertile at this point (probably 14 day eggs), and, if so, why?
Yes...can be...if you are concerned that there may have been a staggered lay meaning eggs at different development. Also, it allows you to pull eggs that aren't forming before they spoil (which makes a terrible mess if they explode in the nest). But you don't HAVE to. In your case, I'd candle as you aren't sure when this all started. It can give you an idea when they should hatch.

I do not recommend trying to move the nest this far into setting. Many hens will not relocate to another location but will insist on brooding at their chosen location meaning they will abandon the eggs. It risks a lot of upset for hen and eggs. Once they hatch, after the babes have fluffed and dried (at the end of the 1st day), you can move momma and babes wherever you want and momma will be happy to do so. Hens will abandon the original nest to find a clean location around day 2 or 3.

It depends on when the hen started incubating the eggs. If all the eggs were set at the same time, the eggs will hatch out generally within 24 hours of each other (sometimes up to 48, but I find that what hasn't hatched within 24 isn't going to). Trouble comes when some eggs were started later than the first. Then you will have a staggered hatch meaning different development stages for the chicks. It takes 21 days (give or take 24 hours) for the chick to develop and hatch. So the actual hatch date is determined from the set date (when a hen sits on an egg and warms it for 24 hours...then the embryo begins to form).

Hens can't count and they have NO idea what chick is theirs and what is not. She'll mother them all. Sometimes a finicky hen will pick on a different colored chick (for example the black chick in a sea of yellow chicks). But most hens couldn't care less on color or number. They have chicks...they sit...they mother....IF you have a good broody.

It may mean she is coming out of her broodiness...which if this is day 14 is not good...as she's been sitting for 3 weeks. It could also mean the weather is warmer and she can get up a little more off the eggs. Hens vary as to how much they stay locked on the nest, but if she is serious, she will be sitting on those eggs most of the time getting up only to eat, drink, poo, dust bathe about 20 minutes a day. Some hens get up twice a day. If she really starts getting of the nest for several hours, she may be getting ready to break from the brood as it's been 21 days with no chicks (which is why you have to be careful to not extend some hens). Good news, most hens will brood for about 5 weeks trying to get chicks. So likely it is just variation on Judy's part.

LofMc
Thank you so much! All of that helps tremendously. Just looked at the chicken cam and there are two chicks!

So far I believe at least three have hatched. In regards to moving the nest, is it safe to just pick up the styrofoam base and transport everyone together? There is a fresh nest in the run that no one has used yet. I have never handled this hen before so I’m not sure how she will react.

Okay...so you have chicks hatching which means the first were set 3 weeks ago. Wait 24 hours after the first hatch for all that will hatch, then consider moving. You likely have partially developed eggs which you should candle and then decide if you want to put in an incubator to finish.

As to moving the hen and chicks...well, that can go several ways depending on the hen and the chicks.

Normally this is a 2 person job. One person handling the chicks, the other the hen. I would hesitate to try to pick up the styrofoam nest with hen and chicks thinking they will all stay happy, still, and calm while you move. Most brooding hens will fight viciously to protect their chicks, and I can't imagine a hen being happy trying to sit on eggs or hatched chicks while moving (unless you've got a Silkie...then possibly...they are like stone on the nest).

Also be aware the chicks, once fluffed, will run at the smallest of provocations. Likely they will jump off the styrofoam lid.

Essentially what you get when you mess with hen and chicks is hen in one direction with each chick in their own direction and a very merry chase. A large fishing net can help prevent such chaos. But we want to prevent chaos if at all possible.

I recommend a deep basket for chicks and 2 hands for mom. First pluck out the chicks from mom. (She will likely fight furiously to keep you from doing that). Put chicks in deep coat pockets or a deep basket they can't jump out of. Now get mom. By now, she is likely thoroughly pissed at you. Hopefully she has stayed at the nest and hasn't ran off. You should block her so she can't go far if at all possible. Place chicks in the new nest where you want them to go. Now place mom (who likely will still be very pissed). Stand back and let her settle. The chicks will be frantically calling her, which should encourage her to settle them under her. Night time is generally the calmest time for a move, BUT you have the disadvantage of not being able to see well if anyone jumps ship and things go awry.

I usually default to 2 person snatch...one grabs hen, the other scoops chicks, and in concert move to the new nest.

Good luck, and may the Force be with you. If you are really, really, lucky, your hen will be pretty chill, and the little darlings merely sleepily cheeping...but I've not personally had that experience in my 10 years of broody hatching and occasionally having to move a hen with her chicks.

Caveat...it's best to have a hen hatch where you actually want them to brood, or able to easily move to another nest that is safe.

Keeping my fingers crossed it will go well.

LofMc

Last edited:
Success! I decided to go ahead and move everybody this morning since they were still sleepy (a little less than 24h). We did just as recommended: I picked Judy up easily and my husband put the sleepy chicks in a cloth bag. We carried them back to the run without much fuss and she jumped right into the nest where the chicks were placed.
I went back to check just now and she was taking a little dirt bath with all the chicks around her and postering for me to get away while i gave her fresh feed and put the chick feeder out.
I hope all you smart chicken people are prepared for my deluge of questions now!
They have nest, shade, food and water and dirt but no coop yet. As you can see the nest is a slightly exposed against the hardware cloth wall so I was thinking about adding some straw bales to provide more privacy. I have vines trained on it but slow growing.
Will the other hens come to check her out? There are a few I would like to attract into the run, but they are quite a bit older than Judy so I don’t know how they would get along.

Attachments

• F1C9EA68-224C-42E3-95AD-3D9BAA9F7ED7.jpeg
    F1C9EA68-224C-42E3-95AD-3D9BAA9F7ED7.jpeg
    864.6 KB · Views: 0
Congratulations on the successful move.

Unless you have an unusually calm flock, I suggest privacy for Judy and chicks rather than a quick integration. Even with hens fully integrated with the flock, reintroduction after the long 3 week nesting can cause conflict with other hens. You don't want that conflict with small chicks in tow. They can be trampled.

With an unfamiliar hen, if I understand that Judy is new to the flock, you will need to take precautions to protect the chicks.

Viewing through the hard cloth is excellent. Access to Judy and chicks is not. Let mom and chicks acclimate for 2 weeks and then begin integration. The chicks are much hardier then and can run out of harms way without stranding or over exertion. I have had aggressive hens cause stranding and chilling with newborns as mom is chased by the aggressive hens.

Even at the 2 week mark make sure integration is harm free for the chicks and mom.

Btw what was the status with the remaining eggs any still developing?

LofMc

Congratulations on the successful move.

Unless you have an unusually calm flock, I suggest privacy for Judy and chicks rather than a quick integration. Even with hens fully integrated with the flock, reintroduction after the long 3 week nesting can cause conflict with other hens. You don't want that conflict with small chicks in tow. They can be trampled.

With an unfamiliar hen, if I understand that Judy is new to the flock, you will need to take precautions to protect the chicks.

Viewing through the hard cloth is excellent. Access to Judy and chicks is not. Let mom and chicks acclimate for 2 weeks and then begin integration. The chicks are much hardier then and can run out of harms way without stranding or over exertion. I have had aggressive hens cause stranding and chilling with newborns as mom is chased by the aggressive hens.

Even at the 2 week mark make sure integration is harm free for the chicks and mom.

Btw what was the status with the remaining eggs any still developing?

LofMc
Exactly what I had in mind. They can go around the run but can’t get in.
1. Funny you should ask! All 4 remaining eggs are fertile as I understand from my YouTube watching. There is a small air sac in each and they are very heavy. I have made an incubator with a small styrofoam container with soft towels and I replaced the heat bulb with a regular incandescent bulb in a heat lamp we used for the baby goats. What temperature should it be in there? And does the percentage of dark vs light when the eggs are candled indicate how far along the chicks are?
2. My property has not received any appreciable amount of rain in over two weeks but TODAY IT POURED WITH lightening, thunder and horizontal rain! The run is WET. Judy is fairly wet, but chicks under her appear to be dry. The fresh feed is all wet. The nest hay is wet. Do I need to be concerned about the chicks in the damp? I am sure it will dry out tomorrow and I am changing out the hay and feed but is there anything else I need to do? I feel so bad for Judy! She looks pissed!

Exactly what I had in mind. They can go around the run but can’t get in.
1. Funny you should ask! All 4 remaining eggs are fertile as I understand from my YouTube watching. There is a small air sac in each and they are very heavy. I have made an incubator with a small styrofoam container with soft towels and I replaced the heat bulb with a regular incandescent bulb in a heat lamp we used for the baby goats. What temperature should it be in there? And does the percentage of dark vs light when the eggs are candled indicate how far along the chicks are?
2. My property has not received any appreciable amount of rain in over two weeks but TODAY IT POURED WITH lightening, thunder and horizontal rain! The run is WET. Judy is fairly wet, but chicks under her appear to be dry. The fresh feed is all wet. The nest hay is wet. Do I need to be concerned about the chicks in the damp? I am sure it will dry out tomorrow and I am changing out the hay and feed but is there anything else I need to do? I feel so bad for Judy! She looks pissed!

1. The average temperature in the brooder should be kept around 100.5 degrees F. Humidity should be about 50-55%. Place pointy side down.

Yes, dark blob with air cell indicates chick growth. At 1 week, you have jelly bean with road map of veins radiating out. At 2 week, you have dark blob on one end with air cell on other. Often you can see chick movement, but not always as the chicks will hold still upon disturbance.

2. Poor Judy! That's a sad state of affairs to mother in. I very much prefer my hens and chicks to be out of direct weather. The chicks weather much, much better than you'd expect. (I've had mothers hatch in the dead of winter in a snow storm, and out running with babes by day 3...they have wonderful little down jackets and use momma as a warming hutch). However, I am careful to keep my hen and chicks out of direct weather. Likely all is well as momma kept them dry. Do your best to throw down some straw or better, pine shavings. I find straw simply mildews in my neck of the woods but pine shavings absorbs my constant Oregon wet. Set up a rain block of some sort (tarp). They can handle cold and general creeping moisture, but it's best to keep them out of direct rain/snow.

Good for Judy. Sounds like she is strong hearted.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom