Broody just up and quit

I did. They look consistent with how far along they should be. I didn't see any movement but I read on several posts here that it's hard to see movement. She did just stop sitting on them yesterday though. So they were probably ok until last night. I still have them under the eco glo. I just can't bring myself to get rid of them in case they are still alive.
I checked them just now and they feel about as warm as they did when she was sitting on them. So maybe there's still a chance.
I just don't want to go too long because I know what a rotten egg smells like. We had another broody sitting on eggs years ago that had some go bad. Blech!
So hopefully they will still hatch, even if they might take a day or two longer. :fl

Well, I candled the eggs and I swear I saw movement in at least two of them. There are one or two that don't look like they've developed anymore since I candled them the other day. I'm still holding out hope.
Every time I check on them they are warm so the Eco Glo is working pretty good at that. I just don't know if it's warm enough. My next issue is humidity. I have water in the box with them but I have no idea if it's going to be enough.
Sunday is day 21 but I will wait until a few days after that to make sure they aren't going to hatch. Hopefully the two I think I saw movement in will hatch quickly and it'll give me some peace of mind that at least some of them made it.

How are they doing? Anyone out yet? :jumpy
Four out of the five have hatched and they seem to be doing ok. You can see the one is still trying to hatch. It still has a little bit to go. I don't think the other egg will hatch. When I candled it the last time it didn't seem viable.
I honestly can't believe any of them hatched after all they went through. Now I just hope they continue to grow and thrive. They've got food and water for when they are ready for it.
IMG_0537.jpg
IMG_0538.jpg

:loveCongratulations! So nice to see that your troubles were not in vain!
Yes, it is. It doesn't look like the one that was still trying to hatch is going to make it. It's very lethargic and not moving around at all. It's struggling to breathe. Still 3 out of 5 isn't bad considering what all they went through.
One of the others seems a little uncoordinated. It walks fine but it doesn't seem to be able to find the water. It tries but it's all over the place with its pecking motions.
The other two are drinking just fine but haven't tried to eat yet. I've shown them the food but they have shown no interest in it. So hopefully I can get them all eating and drinking soon.

Back
Top Bottom