Broody kills the first baby? - please help quickly!!!

I just had a first time broody do the same to her first chick. Waiting to see what she'll do with the final two eggs now that I've read your thread...
I am so hoping yours does not do the same. Unfortunately I sat right beside her for the next one which probably stressed her, but it was each peep that really made her insane. I am almost positive that she did not recognize the peep sounds and thought they were predators underneath of her.

If anyone knows anything about this egg, please let me know. Going on 14 hours now with no change...
7A574038-D0E0-477E-9DC8-1CBFABC90F0A.jpeg

She started unzipping about 2 hours after I posted and the whole thing took only about 5 minutes! Thank goodness. I think all childbirth is fairly yucky. Shes adorable. Mystery chick ordered online. No clue what breed she is but she came out of a fairly small medium brown egg. Not a bantam though. She‘s more yellow than the pic shows. I think there is a forum I can post this question...
2EF88200-669C-40A7-A86B-2DAF9EB73C71.jpeg

I do not believe for a second that chickens are prone to commit infanticide randomly, there is an environmental factor involved and it is likely nutritional deficit of some kind.

Your coop is really nice. Does she ever get the chance to get off the eggs and out of the coop to run a bit, or is she shut in? The feed looks powdery. This type of reaction has to be from stress, either environmental or nutritionally deficit mental breakdown.

Of the species of animals that commonly commit infanticide mostly are non-avion. They are common for males to kill the offspring, like lions do. Or if the females kill the offspring, it is competitve with other females.

Here is a similar case of a bird species doing it, and it is from lack of food.
20210514_092624.jpg

No it's not your fault, but if you want to fix the problem, introduce more varied feed. Maybe offer a second type of food to choose from. It'a just a starting point to try to fix the problem, not a solution.

If she is locked in the coop 24-7, put in a new type of base of sand for the floor that she can scratch around in and get some grit and shells.

I respect the experiences of the others in the thread who say the chicken will kill the entire brood, but there is a lack of evidence on their part to blame the chicken and not the environment. You did the right thing removing the eggs because she would have killed them, but I hope you can find out why because it is not in her nature to want to do it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom