Broody King Quail Rooster

FlockedTab

Hatching
May 21, 2023
Saskatchewan
I have a bonded pair of King Quail (everyone calls them buttons here ?)living alone in their own private enclosure and the hen has started laying eggs (they are new to my aviary).. I made the mistake of taking the first one and the pair seemed devastated and destroyed the nest as they built together and the hen seemed rather pleased with the egg she laid.. initially..
I decided to give back the egg as the hen stopped laying for two days and was even rejecting her mate and focused on eating instead and when I did that she resumed laying. I have noticed with all my pairs the roos will move the eggs if they aren't where he thinks they should be, even if the hen is content with the nesting site.. and this roo is no exception so nothing out of the ordinary there, however now that there are 4 eggs Ive seen him tending to them far more than the hen and now today he has been building the nest up more and sitting on the small clutch and turning them .. and hes all fluffed out and making a new chirping noise similar to the courting noise he makes when making offerings to the hen with food in his mouth.. its almost like hes going broody. The hen just laid a 5th egg just as I was typing this.. outside of the nest.. and he is now off the eggs and moving that new egg to the clutch even..

I know that King Quail supposedly share brooding responsibility in the wild but this guy is acting more like an emu or something because he's basically telling the hen where to lay her eggs (or at least trying since she never actually does and he has to move them) and hes the one going full broody..

Has anyone else had their roo in a solo kept bonded pair go exclusively broody while the hen just seemly ignored her role outside of getting mounted and popping out eggs?

I
I have a bonded pair of King Quail (everyone calls them buttons here ?)living alone in their own private enclosure and the hen has started laying eggs (they are new to my aviary).. I made the mistake of taking the first one and the pair seemed devastated and destroyed the nest as they built together and the hen seemed rather pleased with the egg she laid.. initially..
I decided to give back the egg as the hen stopped laying for two days and was even rejecting her mate and focused on eating instead and when I did that she resumed laying. I have noticed with all my pairs the roos will move the eggs if they aren't where he thinks they should be, even if the hen is content with the nesting site.. and this roo is no exception so nothing out of the ordinary there, however now that there are 4 eggs Ive seen him tending to them far more than the hen and now today he has been building the nest up more and sitting on the small clutch and turning them .. and hes all fluffed out and making a new chirping noise similar to the courting noise he makes when making offerings to the hen with food in his mouth.. its almost like hes going broody. The hen just laid a 5th egg just as I was typing this.. outside of the nest.. and he is now off the eggs and moving that new egg to the clutch even..

I know that King Quail supposedly share brooding responsibility in the wild but this guy is acting more like an emu or something because he's basically telling the hen where to lay her eggs (or at least trying since she never actually does and he has to move them) and hes the one going full broody..

Has anyone else had their roo in a solo kept bonded pair go exclusively broody while the hen just seemly ignored her role outside of getting mounted and popping out eggs?
I have coturnix quail and my roo Timber would always stand guard one near my broody hen and her nest and even switched places with the female, he sadly died after breaking his neck trying to fly up to a branch. Hope you have good success with them.

What a deadbeat mom. 😂 I don’t have quails but they seem fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom