Broody Lady Amherst Pheasant. Exciting! but would like some input....

dracoe19

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Warrenton, Virgina
I have 2 aviaries and one of my 3 lady amherst pheasants has gone broody! I'm very excited to have her hatch her own eggs since it is such a pain to hatch pheasant eggs. My question is what would be the best enclosure to put her in? In the aviary right now I have her mate and 3 young peacocks which I know could kill the babies just by walking around them. I'm also a little worried about her mate possibly becoming aggressive. I'm afraid of moving her right now in fear of her not sitting on the eggs anymore. She puts up with me poking my head into her box to say hi but I have never felt under her to check the eggs. Should I wait for her to hatch them then move them or try to do it now? I feel like she won't be as forgiving as moving a broody hen. Any thoughts? Has anyone ever had a broody pheasant?

hu.gif

Well her babies hatched before I was able to collect her. 3 were killed 1 left... took her inside and hoping to give her a few more. She is definetly a great mother. Nearly took my arm off when I moved her to a bigger area! Next time I'll make sure to be more prepared for the situation. Even though I lost a few I'm just glad she still has one she is taking care of :).

Back
Top Bottom