Broody left her eggs, which got cold

pachamama

Hatching
Apr 30, 2015
Our broody hen stopped sitting on eggs after a little over a week. She was doing a good job at first, but now she seems to want out of her space and the eggs have gone cold. I am wondering if she is coming out of her broodiness, or perhaps she knew the eggs were not fertilized? I cracked them all open, and they looked like normal eggs. Our rooster is new, and he was badly pecked on my other roosters at his old home. We believe the eggs were not actually fertilized, as it seems he is just learning what to do, and is only interested in one hen right now. Any advice on what to do with our broody hen? Thanks!

I'm not sure what the question is. If the eggs weren't developing in the first place, and she's not trying to hatch them anyway, I'd let her out to rejoin the flock. What other options were you thinking about?

I guess that was a loaded question. I was wondering if 1) she might be breaking out of broodiness? and/or 2) she knew the eggs were not worth sitting on? We have not been able to break her of her broodiness for a couple months, so it seemed strange that it just happened so quickly.

UPDATE:

I tried to put a couple more eggs under her yesterday morning (knowing at least one was fertilized). She wouldn't sit on them, just kept pacing in her space.
So I brought her to the garden, and put three other chickens with her (not the rooster, or our little polish who worships the rooster and had been pecking at our broody previously). No fights, and it seems she has regained her position in the pecking order (within hours). She is in the coop with everyone now, and our rooster hasn't bothered her. Her comb is regaining her colour. I am amazed at how quickly and smoothly this all went down!!

From what ive read, not all chickens are good at being broody, and its not uncommon for a chicken to try being broody and decide its a no go for them. Good thing the eggs were unfertilized!

Back
Top Bottom