Broody left the nest with chirping eggs... Advice?

MommaBee

Chirping
7 Years
May 25, 2012
Texas
We have had a wonderful broody who decided to hatch. We just let her go on whatever eggs were underneath her. There were 7 eventually but I think they accumulated over a day or two. We often have hens who will set in the same box as a broody. About 3 weeks ago I marked the 7 eggs that were under her so I could remove any new ones as they came. We moved her to her own area early this week so she would be separated to hatch. Well yesterday they started hatching. 2 hatched out to be exact. Today I went to bring her water and chick starter for the new chicks. Might have been a mistake. She hopped off and never got back on the nest. I waited 45 mins and then assumed she was done hatching and the others were duds. But no, I heard chirping. Started up the incubator and placed them in once it was warmer than outside (90's today). When I checked the eggs 4 of the 5 were chirping and 1 smelt bad. I discarded the bad one after I candled it.

So now what? I couldn't let them die but I would really rather the broody raise them. Will she take them once they have hatched? Is there a method or technique to getting her to take them under her wing (literally)? This is all assuming they will even hatch....

Also we have 2 others who are broody right now. (Though we really do not want them to be.) Should I give one of them these 4 eggs? They have only been broody a few days. Well one has for a lil over a week. Any thoughts?

I would give the eggs to the other broodies. Or if you have an incubator try and finish hatching them out and at night give them to her. She might accept them she might not. Most broodies however will accept them, I have done it several times successfully. Good luck!

Last edited:
I am so nervous about the part where she might not accept them. Would she try to kill them?

We have had a first time broody peck a chick to death when it first hatched. I am nervous these other broodies would do the same thing. One is only 8 mo old. Not too experienced and she is also mean as sin haha.

I have had one broody hen kill a chick that I tried to let her adopt it was the same age as hers (day old) and she knew it wasn't hers. There were actually 3 more that she scared away and they walked almost 200 yards out to the barn where I had another broody who greatly accepted them. So it is possible she wont accept them however its not likely.

If they finish hatching, wait until dark and sneak the chicks under her, I've done that and my hen didn't notice anything. But your hen could react differently.

I think she just needed to stretch her legs for longer than normal. I kept them warm in the incubator and an hour or two later she was back nesting. I gave them back to her and she snuggled them right back in and we have a new little chickadee this morning. I'm guessing the others will follow. Thank you everyone for the advice. That was a weird few hours.

That's great news! Pics, please!!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom