Broody mama raising adopted chicks

JJ Ly

Chirping
Apr 29, 2020
I have a buff who's been broody three times since late fall, so I gave in and got her some babies yesterday. She took them almost immediately and seems to be doing a great job so far! I've sectioned off a part of their coop for her and the chicks. Pic of mom and my set up attached. How long do I keep them penned up and separated? Any other words of wisdom would be helpful too. This is a first for me. Thank you!

Attachments

• 0723211153.jpg
    0723211153.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 0722211810_HDR.jpg
    0722211810_HDR.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 4
I have a buff who's been broody three times since late fall, so I gave in and got her some babies yesterday. She took them almost immediately and seems to be doing a great job so far! I've sectioned off a part of their coop for her and the chicks. Pic of mom and my set up attached. How long do I keep them penned up and separated? Any other words of wisdom would be helpful too. This is a first for me. Thank you!
Congrats on your new babies! So cute! :love I just love watching chicks follow after mumma hen! ..it is addictive! :oops:

I have done it both ways - allowed mumma hen to hatch and raise chicks within the flock and others I've seperated till chicks were up to 6 weeks old.. I suggest just take down the fence and allow mumma to raise chicks within the flock, I found it easier for integration. Mumma hen should protect her chicks against other chickens and predators. Other chickens usually steer clear of mumma hen and chicks knowing she will come at them with full force attack if they try! Just watch and see how she goes and if any issues with mumma hen not protecting her chicks then you can fence them off for a little while longer.

Congrats on your new babies! So cute! :love I just love watching chicks follow after mumma hen! ..it is addictive! :oops:

I have done it both ways - allowed mumma hen to hatch and raise chicks within the flock and others I've seperated till chicks were up to 6 weeks old.. I suggest just take down the fence and allow mumma to raise chicks within the flock, I found it easier for integration. Mumma hen should protect her chicks against other chickens and predators. Other chickens usually steer clear of mumma hen and chicks knowing she will come at them with full force attack if they try! Just watch and see how she goes and if any issues with mumma hen not protecting her chicks then you can fence them off for a little while longer.
Thank you so much! I love watching them with her....and you're right...she's so protective...when I peek in the check on them she sounds like a dinosaur! 😂 They will probably be fine with the others.

Back
Top Bottom