Broody? Molting?

carahill

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2015
One of my chickens started acting broody and wouldn't come out of the nesting box. Now all three of my girls huddle up in one nesting box all day long and they all quit laying eggs. This is a picture of one of their bellies but they all look the same. I thought they were just broody but are they molting ? Or what? They literally stay in the nesting box all day long unless I get them out to roost at night. And they all get mad at me if I try to get them out.

As long as they aren't acting lethargic or sick, I'd say you've got yourself a broody epidemic on your hands. What breeds are you dealing with?

Since they're all broody, I'd recommend just removing/closing off the nesting boxes for now. Alternately, if you want chicks, you could probably slip a few fertile eggs under them (or day olds if you wait until they're a few weeks broody and can time it right).

My first chickens so I wouldn't know what is what?! Ok well I shut them out of the coop. We shall see right?

My first chickens so I wouldn't know what is what?! Ok well I shut them out of the coop. We shall see right?

Could you post some pictures of them? Most breeds aren't hard to identify if you know what to look for. Do they have feathered feet? Are they particularly large or fluffy? These are some common traits of the breeds which are especially known for broodiness. These breeds include Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas, Orpinngtons, and sometimes Wyandottes.

Shutting them out of the coop works for now, but the issue is that as soon as they're put in there for the night, they're gonna go straight back in. What's the style of your nest boxes? Are they attached to the coop? Even something as simple as putting something in the nest or blocking it off with cardboard works fine. Or, if they're not attached, you can simply remove them.

Back
Top Bottom