Broody Olivia No Longer Being Mama-Babies in Cold Cruel World Alone

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
My broody hen, Olivia, just snapped out of her motherly trance today, left her three chicks in the pen, squatted for my cockerel, Zane, even though he was in a separate pen and then left. I found an egg in the nestbox of the Firetower coop where they have been living together. SO, three 6-wk-old chicks are motherless as of today. We took Zane and Charlotte's little daughter Panda, her blue banty Cochin buddy and GLW in to meet the two-week-older chicks. They are back in a separate cage right now for the night, but tomorrow, I think the six will be living together.
Here's a couple of pics from my time in the pen, referreeing the little hoodlums. Here are Virginia and Victoria, the SLW girls, first. They are starting to look their breed now. The BR boy is Hawkeye's last son that I have, Mace. Couldnt get one of Panda that wasn't blurred badly.
DCP_0583.jpg

DCP_0587.jpg

DCP_0588.jpg

I have a game hen that left her biddie's at around 2 week's or less. She left them with the roo who is doing a wonderful job raiseing then. He even let's them sleep under him. Now that is something to see. Yesterday she hatched 6 biddie's out so I'm going to count the day's to see if she repeat's this process. I was going to add 2 hen's to there coop today but got to thinking that if I did that the roo wouldn't be mama anymore.
cool.png
At 6 week's the baby's will be O.K. but they will still miss mama.
sad.png
PEACE

Back
Top Bottom