broody on eggs questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fun monitor, Jun 2, 2008.

1. fun monitor

fun monitor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    My fertile eggs should be here any minute. We're putting the finishing touches on the dog crate/broody house. I just have a few questions:

-how long to let the eggs settle once they get here? 12 hrs, 24 hrs?

-should I candle them when they get here to see if they're good or wait until they've been under her a few days?

-how many should I put under a bantam? I ordered a dozen eggs but only one girl is broody.

Thanks in advance!

2. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I've hatched shipped eggs 2 times, and my 3rd are due to hatch any minute I hope.
    I let the eggs sit at least 8 hours before, but this last batch I put under broody immediately...they are due to hatch any time. So it will be kind of an experiment to see if letting them "rest" makes a difference.

You won't see anything if you candle them now. Wait at least 5 days. Most wait until day 7....again on day 12...last on day 18.
    At day 7 you will see veins if they're fertile!

12 eggs is a lot for a bantam, but sounds like you don't have any alternatives. In my opinion, I would try to put all under her now and maybe another hen will become broody soon. I would hate for you to throw away shipped eggs!

Let us know what happens![​IMG]

3. fun monitor

fun monitor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    Thanks for your response, it came just in time. My eggs are here! That just means more questions:

Some of the eggs are really poopy. Should I use a dry paper towel to try to gently get it off, or just leave it?

We did candle the eggs and two of 14 were no good - the air sacs moved around. Six of them seem pretty good - stable, well-shaped air sacs and good shells. The other six had larger air sacs but we're going to try to put them under her anyway and see what happens.

I won't candle them again until day 4 or 5, I promise [​IMG]

The last big question - put the broody nest in the coop or in the garage? It's quieter in the garage and there are two baby chicks in here also. On the other hand, she's used to the outside noises/temps, etc. But we did have a skunk lurking around the coop last night (and it sprayed our dog). Decisions, decisions...

I appreciate any and all input! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by