Broody? or Impacted Egg?

FoxgloveFarmME

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2017
How do I tell if my Black Astralorp is broody or sick? Perhaps an impacted egg? She's been on the nest 3-4 days now, only off when I tried to examine her through the nest box and spooked her. She bolted off the nest to the run, drank a few gulps of water and nibbled a bit of food, then back on the nest. I've been gathering her sisters' eggs from under her, and tried putting in 2 false eggs to encourage the other 5 hens to lay in one of the 3 "non-preferred" boxes. Now Big Mama has moved to one of those nests. She is my healthiest "looking" bird based on wattle size and bright red color.

Often times a broody will fluff up like a turkey and squawk at you like a teradactyl when you try to move them off the nest. You can also feel her abdomen low on the breast to see if the feathers are thin there or gone, and it will feel very warm and humid under her. I have one that just refuses to walk or stand, just collapses in protest when I move her, when she's broody.
Your description sounds like broody to me. If you don't want her to hatch eggs, then I would break her out of the broodyness or it could go on for a while, and they don't eat well while they are broody, or lay. I use a wire dog crate turned upside down in the chicken run raised up with a couple of 2x4 boards underneath. No bedding at all so she can't sit, just is on the wire. Her own food and water, and she can still see and be seen. She stays in there until she changes her mind. Can take a day or two, or longer, like a week, depending on how determined she is.

Thanks, everyone. A relief she's not ill, but now for next steps... No roosters here, so her sitting will be for naught.

Is she puffing up or growling when you go in there?
Not much puffing/growling, but a strong sense of determination. Her belly is very warm when I hunt for eggs. At least some of the other hens had been laying in there with her -- One day there were 2 hens with her in the 12" square nesting box, and one "in line." No idea how they managed squeezing in together. Now egg production is down all over...yesterday only 2. Had been 4-6 a day from six hens.

My 1 1/2 year old black star just started doing the same thing. I removed her from the hen house, let her free range a bit. She just wanders around making this little dove like coo all puffed up. She is a bit lethargic and you can tell she just wants to get back in to the nesting box. One thing I am not sure about...all her feathers are gone from her belly...is that normal for broody? She did lay yesterday, so I don't think there is anything impacted.

Back
Top Bottom