Broody or not Broody?

leeannwalker

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland Australia.
My frizzle is acting very strangely. She is a very friendly easy-going girl. She started sitting for 3 or 4 days then got off the nest. She was a bit off colour so I treated her and the rest of the girls and the coop for mites and she's perked right up again.

Yesterday she was sitting on the nest (She's not laying). I reached under her to get an egg and she kept trying to roll it back under her with her beak. Today she's out with the others again.

BUT she is mothering another hens 6 week old chick, calling it when there is food, breaking it up for the chick and it will even sleep tucked under her wing at night.

Is she broody or not? I would like to get her some babies.

It sounds like she went broody, but then bonded to the chick and may have broken-up and started being a momma instead. If you can get her to sit on a nest for over a week, then you can replace the fake eggs under her with chicks. I gave my momma hens some chicks and she adores them.

Best of luck!
smile.png

crazy chicken. Now she's sitting on the fake eggs again. If I take them out from under her she glares at me and pushes them back under her again. She never was the brightest bird in the coop.

If she stays put for another 4 days she's getting babies. I'll just go whisper that in her ear.

Back
Top Bottom