Broody or not?

Kluckners

Chirping
Apr 25, 2020
Seattle
For the last 6 weeks or so, this Wyandotte has spent most of the day in her nesting box. She doesn’t sleep in it, but she’s pretty much in there from about mid-morning when she lays, until sundown when she heads up to her roosting bar. She lays almost every day.

If try to take her out, she grumbles a bit but doesn’t fight it at all. And when I do take her our, she’ll hang out in the run with the rest of the hens for a little bit before going back to the box. I see her eat and drink.

In the last few days though I’ve noticed her comb a bit paler. Seems to be fine otherwise.

Attachments

• C5422568-1370-460F-A068-BD9221D899B7.jpeg
    C5422568-1370-460F-A068-BD9221D899B7.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 11
Not completely broody.
She would complain more if you remove her and she wouldn't leave the nest if she was truly broody.
How old is she? Is this her first time? Her body may be telling her to go broody but she has now idea what that means.

Not completely broody.
She would complain more if you remove her and she wouldn't leave the nest if she was truly broody.
How old is she? Is this her first time? Her body may be telling her to go broody but she has now idea what that means.

She’s 8 months old. So it would be her first time going broody.

I just broke my 8 month old pullet when she sort of went broody. I just kept removing her from the nesting box and pushing her outside with the rest. This eventually broke her because she didn't quite know any better but next year, I know it will be worse so I will have to crate her if she goes broody or build onto the coop/run so that she can hatch some chicks. Leaning toward building on... chicken math has a strong hold on me 🤪

Back
Top Bottom