Broody or not?

newchickmom

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 8, 2007
Lafayette, Indiana
I have pekin ducks. 2 girls and 2 boys. I'm not sure what to do. I have one that has made a nest in the grass by the fence, and I found 8 egggs in it. ( I thought they had quit laying). I didn't know about the nest until my husband mentioned a duck was missing. I had noticed that some times 1 of the ducks was not always with the other 3, but never for long.
So, I went on a duck hunt and found her on her nest and she hissed at me. Usually they take off when I get that close.
The last few days, I noticed she will be on the nest for several hours, then off it for 1 to 2 hours ranging with the other ducks. The other ducks have started laying in the grass not far from her when she is on the nest. Is all of this normal broody Pekin behavior?
hu.gif
It has been in the 60s the last couple of days and down to 34 at night. Will the eggs hatch? Is she staying off the nest too long? Is it too cold or should I just take them away?
barnie.gif

Please help! I know nothing about ducks hatching eggs!
idunno.gif

I would let her hatch them. They are older eggs and you cannot eat them now - right? If you are set up to help the babies with a broody box if need be, there's no harm done! Our pekins haven't gone broody - wish they would! I would like more babies! On the plus side we have plenty of fertile eggs to eat and hatch! Have a blessed one. Nancy

How long is that.....she will leave to eat and exercise twice a day....This is good for her and hardies the eggs....ALso, be sure,she has water to moisten down her feathers as well...She needs this for a good setting.

Count those eggs to be sure no fresh eggs are being addeed, but unless you don't want the babies, again, I'd let her set if you have a way to help her keep babies warm if she needs help... Best of luck...

I know everyone is on the positive note, so I just want the other end of the scenario. She is sitting now, so they will hatch beginning November when it is really cold. This means you will have to brood them indoors for at least a month and then transfer them to a heated house or barn until they are 3 months old. All this because you have to wait until they are feathered in and can handle some cold temps. Now it will be beginning of February and ducks are messy. It's ok if you have a heated barn or the like. They still don't have all the downs for winter or winter fat at that time either. So they wont be ready until beginning February for some outdoor time, and they need anther month to gain some winter downs and fat. So can you house them warm for the winter knowing that they may not be ready to go outside? Take that into consideration and decided what to do. Its your personal choice. I prefer not to deal with babies in winter, but at the same time it will give you a head start for egg production next year.

Back
Top Bottom