Broody Pekin, 30 days now

coolchickens

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Cool, CA (yes, that's its name
I have been trying to find info on broody ducks and them raising their own but so far not much found on ducks. My Pekins went broody on 14 or more eggs, now 30 days ago. I keep looking for babies but nothing so far. She pushed two blk colored eggs out of nest which were very "sticky". (won't open them next time!
barnie.gif
) I pulled out sticky slim in her nest 2 wks ago and put in new straw. I'm wondering if that contaminated all her eggs and they are no good now under her. Also her sister gets into the nest every night with her and I believe she is adding eggs to the pot also. Now I don't know what to do. Will the broody sit there indefinitely and should I pull the eggs out so she'll leave? I don't want her to starve. She does get off every evening for about 10 min., eats a little, drinks and returns. When do I give up on the eggs? Some of those eggs probably are incubating but newer.
idunno.gif
Thanks for any assist. Sharon

I would candle a few. You wont want her to sit on that nest much longer or she will get weak and sick.

Stupid question, but you have a drake, right??

If you let a duck go broody, be sure to mark the eggs!!!! That way you can pull out the new additions.

Thanks for replying. Yes, I have a Runner drake, young but apparently fertile as I gave 18 eggs to a friend who incubated them and 12 of the 18 had developed but were dead at birth. He thought it was the wrong humidity in his incubator for them. I thought of candling them but am afraid to disturb her if it's hatching time now. I did just look under her (and got pecked) and I see no piping on any eggs. Should I try to take ea. out and candle or will that kill whats there? Plus, if they were contaminated by bacteria and are already dead inside the egg, I won't be able to tell if its a live one or a dead one, right? This is my first time with a duck, the chickens were much easier for me. Maybe I should just pull the eggs tomorrow or the next and try again later. If I pull, would they hatch if I gave them to my friend to put in her incubator if they are still alive or would the handling kill them? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom