broody pheasant

BlueEggs4Life

Songster
11 Years
Jun 5, 2009
West Michigan
I've got 2 female pheasants and one keeps going broody on me (no male so no fertile eggs). I moved her off her nest several times last month and she finally quit, but now she is back at it again... going on day 4. My question is, if I just let her go and put some fertile chicken eggs under her will she raise them or should I just try to get her off the nest again? Thanks!

No male because I live in the city and we're not supposed to have "roosters" due to crowing and I'm afraid I might gain some un-needed attention if I add in a male pheasant since I've heard they too sound off. Are there any quiet breeds I could look into? Pheasants are sort of a new thing for me... we took these in because I over heard the winning bidder at an auction talking about eatting them for dinner - pulled on my heart strings and I snap bid on them at the last minute... now I have 2 pheasants, lol.

Male pheasants do most of their calling in Feb and March.This is their breeding season.They are not very loud,and their call is kinda cool.
In N.H.,Tony.

If you decided to get mates from them, I have male lady amherst that hatched out last year and golden males from this year available. I live on a lake with close neighbors, I all the hatching and broody at my house then when they are ready I take them out to the farm. But I have kept both lady amherst and male red goldens males at my house with no problems. And yes we found out the hard way we cant have rooster chickens! But with the ruffed pheasants is kinda loud up close but once you get a couple houses down the road you cant hear it anymore. Also golden and amherst call sounds nothing like anything you've ever heard I'm sure your neighbors wont even know what it is. If your interested in some males PM I'm down in battle creek, but I go to the hudsonville swap in oct. which is way closer to you.

Back
Top Bottom