Broody Pooped In Nest

Nerdmom81

Songster
Apr 21, 2022
Hey all. I have 2 broodys who are on day 8-9, and neither will leave their nest unless moved. This evening when I went to check on one of them, I saw she had a messy bottom and several of her eggs were covered in broody poo mess 😭

Wondering if any of these eggs will still be viable now? I gently wiped the messy ones with a cloth and warm water the best I could and cleaned the nest out completely.

I recently had the same thing happen with my first broody a few weeks ago. After asking for advice on here, I ended up leaving the eggs (I just cleaned up the messy hay). I started taking her off the nest once a day and she started to come out on her own every day. This seemed to help prevent accidents. I ended up having a 100% hatch rate. So in my case, the eggs being messy did not affect their viability.

I recently had the same thing happen with my first broody a few weeks ago. After asking for advice on here, I ended up leaving the eggs (I just cleaned up the messy hay). I started taking her off the nest once a day and she started to come out on her own every day. I ended up having a 100% hatch rate. So in my case, the eggs being messy did not affect their viability.
Ok thank you! I would hate to have her do all this work for nothing. She’s been broody for weeks and is very dedicated to it. I’ve been moving her myself daily but she still won’t come off on her own. Hopefully I have as good a success as you!

Ok thank you! I would hate to have her do all this work for nothing. She’s been broody for weeks and is very dedicated to it. I’ve been moving her myself daily but she still won’t come off on her own. Hopefully I have as good a success as you!
If the eggs don't end up hatching you can also try sneaking some day old chicks under her.

Back
Top Bottom